News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ballast / ignition coil connections

Started by Alan73Charger, October 08, 2015, 09:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

Hey Guys,

I know I should of taken pictures before I started but didn't and now with my no spark issues second guessing my connections at the new coil.  I've included a picture that should show everything pretty well.  Things to note - the drivers side of the ballast has just the two wires, one going to bottom and a black one going to the top and bottom connection.  It has the open end. The passenger side has a couple green ones on bottom, one that goes to that part right under the resistor that I'm not sure what it is.  And a couple orange/red ones on top, which one of those appears to go to the positive coil but its hard to tell since they all sorta disappear into the wiring harness.  I was sure this was correct till I looked at the one on page 259 of the service manual.  It shows the resistor flipped with the open notch on the passenger side.  Of course adding to my confusion I have a 4 pin EIC and the service manual shows a 5 pin.

To the coil...  the one that bothers me the most is a black wire that runs directly to and through the firewall.  It's connected to negative side on coil.  The positive side has one of the before mentioned orange/red wires connected to it.  The only other wire connected is to the negative side.  Black with some yellow in it.  Hard to tell where it goes but is similar to one of the wires connecting to the pick up coil wire.  Speaking of that pick up coil, can it be replaced without pulling the distributor??

If you guys could chime in and verify these connections I could cross one thing off my list.  I was getting spark from the coil with the spark tester but not from the wire at the distributor end.  New wires will be here tomorrow.  Thanks for your time.

Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!