News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8.25 build

Started by jdscofield, October 04, 2015, 10:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdscofield

Has anyone recently rebuilt and beefed up a 8.25 rear end.  If so, what did you do and what did it end up costing?  Looking to rebuild a 8.25 and change it from an open to a closed with a Mopar suregrip, 3:55 gears, and possibly c-clip eliminator kit
MOPAR or no car

c00nhunterjoe

There is not alot of performance parts available and i think your cost will far surpass that of an 8 3/4 or dana build based on what you are planning on changing

jdscofield

People keep saying this and I just can't see the numbers justification.  The average price I have found for a 8 3/4 rebuilt rear end is between $3000 and $ 4000 not including cost of installation.  The8 1/4 alreAdy under my car, cost of suregrip 400, gears 150, bearings and misc 100, c-clip eliminaro kit cost unknown, plus labor.  If I'm to base cost of normal rebuild and add cost of new items, I see a rough total of $1400. Less than half the price of a aftermarket 8 3/4
MOPAR or no car

polywideblock

:cheers:   

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/5148-custom-rear-end-install/

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/01/01/hmn_feature21.html

also a couple of articles about using the torson rear but couldn't find them

let us know how you go I've got one under my roadrunner  that I'm looking for the "hard parts" for

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

c00nhunterjoe

4000 for a rear? It better be gold plated. You can buy a BRAND NEW dana 60 with all the bells and whistl3s from strange for 2500..... i built my dana for half your quoted 8.25 rebuild.

c00nhunterjoe

Within 60 seconds on ebay, i found i 3/4 housing with new axles and bearings for 250, and a company that sells new pumpkins with nodular iron cases and a detroit trutrac torsion locker for 1500. Used pumpkins ranged from 300-600 depending on the suregrip and gears. The search for performance 8.25 parts was not successful.

Edit- i found the trutrac diff for the 8.25, its 600 bucks alone. I could not find hardened axles for your app, so figure on custom axles there. Probably looking at 300 for a pair. 175 for all seals and bearings. A sst of yukon 3.73s is 265. So now you are at 1400 in parts alone. To build a rear, expect 375 in avg labor costs or more. That brings your rough esti.ate to almost 1800, for an 8 1/4.