News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

plasti dip

Started by tucknroll, September 17, 2015, 01:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

im thinking of dipping my blue 69 charger orange. I love an orange charger ( you know why ) but I don't think I would want it orange forever. has any of yall seen a dipped car? are the smooth or ruff? just thinking about it now.

tsmithae

I did the wheels on my daily and it's neither smooth nor really textured. It's in between but if done right is relatively smooth.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

68charger440

My son did one of his cars in matt black.  It looked kinda mean, and hides all kinds of flaws.  It peeled off easilly once he got tired of it also.  Not for me but was interesting at the same time. As for smoothness, like paint, it is all in your skill with the gun.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

ikbrown

What's your experience level with plastidip? I wouldn't do a whole car if this is your first go at plastidip. Have you considered having it wrapped?  :Twocents:

I've plastidipped the wheels on my daily twice, once white and once black. When I bought another set of wheels, properly removing the plastidip from the nooks and crannies where it was applied thinly was a MAJOR pain in the ass. Just imagine that x10 for all the places the dip could get when doing a car.

myk

Just paint it orange...

303 Mopar

You could do a wrap..... :popcrn:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

tucknroll

My neighbor  actually  has a wrap business. I'm just weighing  the options right now. My dad has painted a few cars and lots of tractors that looked great but I just keep thinking of all the places like door jams and engine bay. Tons of work changing colors.

68charger440

Quote from: tucknroll on September 17, 2015, 07:29:42 PM
My neighbor  actually  has a wrap business. I'm just weighing  the options right now. My dad has painted a few cars and lots of tractors that looked great but I just keep thinking of all the places like door jams and engine bay. Tons of work changing colors.
Well you can't wrap door jams and engine bay any easier than painting them.  Probably a lot harder and will never look as good as paint.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Troy

There is a gloss additive for Plasti-dip. Out of the can it's sort of semi-gloss. Unless you're going for a flat(ter) look I wouldn't try to use it as a substitute for paint. I'm considering it just so my car is all one color...

Wraps are (can be) glossy. They also tend to cost a bunch more - but last a bit longer and may not require as much prep and equipment.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ikbrown

Quote from: Troy on September 18, 2015, 11:51:35 AM
There is a gloss additive for Plasti-dip. Out of the can it's sort of semi-gloss. Unless you're going for a flat(ter) look I wouldn't try to use it as a substitute for paint. I'm considering it just so my car is all one color...

Wraps are (can be) glossy. They also tend to cost a bunch more - but last a bit longer and may not require as much prep and equipment.

Troy
In my experience, you can only get plastidip to a semi-gloss level, even with the gloss additive. It's really a flat color out of the can. I used plastidip as an easy way to experiment with different colors on my wheels. I determined I liked white and bought a set of wheels to get a proper gloss white look. :). Here's a pic of my daily's wheels when I had them plastidipped black - I think I did 3 coats of black and 4 coats of gloss trying to get them as glossy as possible.

One tough spot on the second gen charger I could foresee being problematic for a wrap would be the vents between the windshield and the hood. I'm sure the pros have a way to cover those vents but the harder the job, the more they'll charge.

68charger440

It's one thing to wrap or plasti dip a regular car or truck, but for a classic car I think paint is the only way to go. :Twocents:  But it is your car and you should do what makes you happy, unless someone is so against the idea that they want to pay for a paint job for you :lol:.