News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil filter 440/6

Started by boss429kiwi, September 11, 2015, 09:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 Max

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Aero426 on September 14, 2015, 09:02:06 AM
The Wix filters have been touted as a very high quality filter for several years.   The NAPA versions show the exploded view in their displays.    How is the Motorcraft filter better? 

The NAPA Gold Filter suffers from a non-mechanical bypass valve (although it is sealing end mounted versus the dome end of most filters).   The essentially use a silicon plug that has grooves cut in it.  In theory, under extreme load the silicon should "flex" to allow oil to bypass the filter until it warms up.   It's our opinion (but not tested) that it risks going to bypass mode during normal operations with some of our folks saying its even in "constant" bypass mode.   

The Motorcraft Filter uses a mechanical (sealing end) bypass.   The ability to control the mechanical relief is superior to trying to control the flex of the silicone.   You can set a spring rate very precisely so that the bypass valve will open and close similarly very precisely.    I'm going to try and post photos.

Incidentally, I also have a photo of a Wix filter (who makes the NAPA filters) that suffered ingestion.   This means it tried to go into bypass mode but it could not and so the stand pipe collapsed and it ingested the filter.   This resulted in a new engine that was paid for by Wix.

rainbow4jd

Hopefully here are three photos and then I'll post the others - then I'll provide commentary

rainbow4jd

here are the other two

rainbow4jd

OK - the first photo shows you the comparisons.   Now it is important to know that there are MANY types of oil filters within a brand.   There are premium ones and cheap ones.  This sample comes from the use of fleets that I visit in my business.  I see what they are using and then buy that filter.   The ONLY filter I've not seen used by a fleet is the Valuecraft - which I bought at a Big Lots for $99 cents.    It is the baseline for inferior filters (and for all practical purposes is worthless)

The second picture is out of the box.  Here you'll see the anti-drain back gaskets (that keep oil from draining backwards into the pan when the engine is turned off.   Silcone (orange) is far less susceptible to heat than rubber (black).   When we test engines for warranty - we check the oil passages.   If there is tiny bits of rubber in the passages (i.e. creating blockage and oil starvation) that is NOT a warranty engine!   The customer buys it!   So that is the first check point.

The other thing you see (on the Motorcraft and NAPA) ON THIS PHOTO AND THE NEXT ONE - are their bypass structures.   The Motorcraft is a full mechanical integrated bypass valve which you can see when you remove the anti-drainback gasket.   While the NAPA uses that weird silicone combination anti-drainback/bypass plug that has slots cut in it.  As mentioned in an earlier post - we believe that is in permanent bypass mode and allowing unfiltered oil to enter the system.   That being said, we are starting to question that belief based on the final photo in the set.  The NAPA filter may NOT be going into any bypass mode at all.  More on that down below.

The third picture shows the construction.  Obviously, metal crimped ends are far less likely to separate from the filter media than are the cardboard (glued) ends.    In that regard you can see the Motorcraft and NAPA are pretty similar.   You can also see inside some of the filters to see their standpipe construction - many are birdcages of plastic with little integrity.

You also see in this picture a better look at the Motorcraft mechanical bypass, whereas on the NAPA - once you remove their combo anti-drainback/bypass plug - you've just got the same toilet paper tube as all the other cheap filters.

The fourth picture is of the dome ends.   The dome ends are where debris and sludge accumulate.   The Motorcraft and NAPA are sealed dome ends - preventing the recirculation of UNFILTERED - big chunks of crap - back into the engine.    By comparison the other filters are toilet paper tubes.  On cold starts (under bypass) the oil circulates down into the dome end, grabs all the crap, and shoves it straight up into the engine.   In my opinion that is an engine failure waiting to happen.

The final picture is a WIX filter that failed to go into bypass.   Meaning the pressure was so great (technically the difference in pressure - negative on one side, positive on the other - due to complete blockage (it didn't go into bypass so there was no oil flowing at all) - that the filter collapsed and pieces of the filter material were ingested in the engine.   This fleet threatened to sue WIX, who bought them a new motor.

Like I said - I have about 20 filters  - but I use these photos in slide shows when I don't have my filter box with me.

Point being - don't judge a filter by its cover or its color!    

I am 100% recommending the OE brand oil filters whenever you change oil because those are the only ones that have really been tested and designed to NOT fail (because the car companies DON"T want to buy an engine under warranty).   If you read the "warranty" on your aftermarket filters - the only thing warranteed is the filter.   So if your car ingests the WIX/NAPA and blows its motor - they will happily give you a new filter!  (I'm sure you'll be happy about it also!)

And, to date, I've not seen a filter that matches the Motorcraft in design or function.

thehemikid

rainbow4jd,...your opinion of the System 1 "trash can" oil filter? Any test on it and it's by pass?

rainbow4jd

Quote from: thehemikid on September 15, 2015, 11:19:53 PM
rainbow4jd,...your opinion of the System 1 "trash can" oil filter? Any test on it and it's by pass?

never tested it.   I only do "fleet applications" which are mostly trucks.   Sometimes I do the police car stuff - but usually the folks that have Dodge's are all about NAPA.  I don't think I've ever tested a Mopar filter - I don't have one in my box of cutaways.

Anyway from the photos and my description you can get a pretty good idea of what to look for.   Just buy one and hacksaw off the top about 1/2 inch below the sealing surface.  Inside will be everything you need to know.  Also check Youtube - some folks have posted similar stuff (but they are all about PLEATS and don't really know what to look for in construction)

I do estimates based on total pleats and pleat depth to get an idea of surface area, but the structure and design are far more important than pleat count or surface area.  I want to know if they are durable over the life of the oil.     You can usually get filtration specs on the manufacturer websites.

Note:  When it comes to filtration - there is actually a "sweet spot" of about 90%.   If you are above 90% you get restricted flow and below that you get dirty oil.    You want it to take out the dirt that is too big  (the trouble makers) and don't worry about the rest.    

Aero426

I have ordered about a dozen various Motorcraft filters for daily drivers (Ram, Hyundai Elantra, Focus) on Rock Auto.   Came out to $4.11 per filter out the door after tax, shipping and 5% discount.     

odcics2

Happened to talk to a WIX Engineering guy today.  They make 23 million oil filters a year.  They had 6 engine buy backs because of a filter failure. They take their filters seriously...    :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

rainbow4jd

Quote from: odcics2 on September 17, 2015, 02:34:58 PM
Happened to talk to a WIX Engineering guy today.  They make 23 million oil filters a year.  They had 6 engine buy backs because of a filter failure. They take their filters seriously...    :2thumbs:

Hope your engine isn't one of the six.     ;)

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Aero426 on September 17, 2015, 12:52:51 PM
I have ordered about a dozen various Motorcraft filters for daily drivers (Ram, Hyundai Elantra, Focus) on Rock Auto.   Came out to $4.11 per filter out the door after tax, shipping and 5% discount.     

That's pretty decent.    I knew they had pretty good all makes coverage - but not that extensive.

odcics2

Quote from: rainbow4jd on September 17, 2015, 08:32:25 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on September 17, 2015, 02:34:58 PM

Hope your engine isn't one of the six.     ;)

HA!  It won't be, I use MoPar filters in everything.   :2thumbs:

62 Max

I'm leaning toward cutting this one to satisfy my curiosity. :scratchchin:

odcics2

Guess you don't have to worry about the bypass in the filter if the engine has it already...   :Twocents:

Aero426

Quote from: rainbow4jd on September 17, 2015, 08:33:43 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on September 17, 2015, 12:52:51 PM
I have ordered about a dozen various Motorcraft filters for daily drivers (Ram, Hyundai Elantra, Focus) on Rock Auto.   Came out to $4.11 per filter out the door after tax, shipping and 5% discount.    

That's pretty decent.    I knew they had pretty good all makes coverage - but not that extensive.

Ram filter is the short version of the FL1A and also fits my Fiat 124 Spider.    Focus is a common p/n,  the FL-810 fitting the Hyundai is also some Ford application.     I have been running Wix for about five years.  Am about out of them and it was time to reload.