News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiring what a headache.

Started by darkfiire5000, July 27, 2015, 03:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkfiire5000

Well I started inspecting the wiring for my charger and it is all toast. I need to replace all the wiring and most of the connectors cause they are just melted or falling apart. I was thinking of using the ezwiring harness but would like to use the best harness. I am going to be using an electric fan and after market stereo system, but will be using the stock gauges. What is the best wiring harness for the setup I am trying to do and where can I get all new connectors. The car is a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 383 automatic floor shift.

Mopar Nut

YearOne sells (M&H) the best and easiest plug and play wiring harnesses for stock applications. I would run different wiring for the fan and stereo separately.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Pete in NH

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 28, 2015, 02:42:59 AM
YearOne sells (M&H) the best and easiest plug and play wiring harnesses for stock applications. I would run different wiring for the fan and stereo separately.

Hi,

The reproduction harnesses made for the car are the easiest way to go. The universal harnesses are not terribly Mopar friendly. You need a fairly good knowledge of wiring and electrical circuits to get them installed. Often connectors need to be changed and adapted. You basically get a bundle of wires and then need to figure out how to install them in your car. And, you should really document what you've done with a universal harness so that you and future owners can troubleshoot the system in the future.

Ghoste

Especially that last sentence!!

darkfiire5000

Okay what about new connectors, where is a good place to get new/ replacements?

myk

I believe that the Painless wiring system utilizes the OEM color codes for the wires, which would help.  Although I run an aftermarket wiring system myself for additional flexibility and the use of a modern fuse box, I have to agree with the above posters: use an OEM system for ease of installation and servicing.  If you want to add options that obviously weren't available from the 60's, then you can 'fab and install a "system bus" that will run off of your OEM wiring and feed whatever you need.

As for factory connectors, honestly my electrician had to salvage or "improvise" when it came to plugging everything in.  It really IS that much of a pain in the butt.  So if ease of installation and servicing is your priority, go with OEM...