News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam choices

Started by WINGMAN, July 09, 2015, 10:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGMAN

I am looking for a good street cam to go in my 69 Daytona 440 automatic. No power brakes at this time but I might switch over someday. I had a Hemi grind in my 500 years ago and it was OK. Any input will be great.(Wingman)  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

BLK 68 R/T

I think your best option would be to call any one of the cam manufactures(Crane, Hughes, Comp, etc.) and speak with them. They should be able to recommend a cam that will fit your needs.

303 Mopar

Lunati makes a great cam and are very helpful in cam selection.  https://www.lunatipower.com/ContactLunati.aspx
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

justcruisin

Best bet for a good cam recommendation is to list full engine specs, converter stall, rear gear, current cam and how you use the car. Without that info any recommendation is useless.

WINGMAN

The engine,trans,are stock specs. Rear end has 355 to 1. The Daytona is used just for street use and car shows, no racing. :icon_smile_big:

justcruisin

If it is stock you will probably have around 8.8:1 compression so you will want a cam that builds cylinder pressure. My thoughts would be something like the original magnum cam with around 268 on the intake but with more modern ramps. Something like a comp xe268h. That would give enough vacuum and would work with your stock heads and valve train. But it is allways best to get a recommendation from a few sources before you make the jump. As stated above - contact the cam companies for there 2 cents.

Dino

If everything's stock, and you just use it for cruising and shows, then why not a stockish cam?  Match it to  the parts you have.  This is the one Firefighter Ron recommends for my daily driver street car:  http://www.crower.com/mopar-350-440-b-compu-pro-hydraulic-cam-260-hdp.html

Currently the only non stock part of my engine is the cam, and it just doesn't belong there.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Post pictures of that wing car!
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

rt green

pm me  if this is the way you want to go.  got a resto mopar  performance  cam I will not be using. its in the engine on the stand. have not fired it yet. bought a mr six pack cam.   lifters go with it.  its the stock replacement from mopar.
third string oil changer

Challenger340

Quote from: WINGMAN on July 09, 2015, 03:34:38 PM
 The engine,trans,are stock specs. Rear end has 355 to 1. The Daytona is used just for street use and car shows, no racing. :icon_smile_big:

What "stock specs" are you referring to ?

Was the Engine ever rebuilt at any point prior in it's history ?
or,
is it ORIGINAL and UN-redone since the factory in 1969 ?

I MUST ask....
because when it comes to rebuilding a 440 over the last 35 years, there is no such thing as actually rebuilding to "stock" specs using any of the available aftermarket rebuilder supposedly "stock" pistons.
THAT is a fallacy !
see here for an explanation:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,118292.0.html

just sayĆ­n...
it is absolutely critical for best results, when contemplating a Cam swap to know available Cylinder pressure ?
Which,
if the engine has ever been rebuilt in the last 35 years and the "stock spec" rebuilder Pistons were used, you could very well be low 8's to 1 Compression.... you do NOT have much compression to work with ?  and may be wasting your time ?
268H or maybe XE268H Cam at most.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Sixt8Chrgr

In my 68 that I sold I had the following, and really liked the build. The car ran 102 mph, ET was 13.8 at Zmax dragway

1. Comp Cam xe268
2 352 heads with three angle valve job
3. Crane rockers
4. I ran the chrome and orange Mopar HE ignition boxes
4. 3.23 gears
5. automatic
6. Hooker headers
7. Holley 650 with mechanical secondaries
8. 3.23 sure grip
9. AC
10 PB
11 PS
12 Rear tires were 275 60 R 15
13 Edelbrock Performer RPM intake

Car fired up and ran great all the time. No problems. AC would turn out 41* temps with the R12. If I did this build again though I would put a Holley 750 with vacuum secondaries.

WINGMAN

Thanks all.  I bought a Lunati street master cam, I wanted more than just the stock profile and a bit of a lope at idle. Hope it is a good choice.  :shruggy: (Wingman)  Jay.

69wannabe

Quote from: justcruisin on July 09, 2015, 05:13:44 PM
If it is stock you will probably have around 8.8:1 compression so you will want a cam that builds cylinder pressure. My thoughts would be something like the original magnum cam with around 268 on the intake but with more modern ramps. Something like a comp xe268h. That would give enough vacuum and would work with your stock heads and valve train. But it is allways best to get a recommendation from a few sources before you make the jump. As stated above - contact the cam companies for there 2 cents.

X2!!! These XE268 comp cams will work pretty good with low or mid to high 9's in compression and run and sound good with very decent power!!  :2thumbs: