News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct vacuum signal for a stock 69 440

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, July 13, 2015, 06:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

My car has a aftermarket lopey camshaft, and I am only getting 6* vacuum from the vacuum advance port on my stock AVS carb. The car is idling at 900 rpms and timing is set at 15*. What is normal with a stock camshaft?

BSB67

Don't measure the vacuum port if you are trying to determine engine vacuum

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

XH29N0G

Quote from: BSB67 on July 13, 2015, 09:06:04 PM
Don't measure the vacuum port if you are trying to determine engine vacuum

Can you explain why?  I have been measuring using the unported vacuum nib on the carburetor and do not have a manifold port that I am aware of (aftermarket manifold).  Just curious. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Sixt8Chrgr

Should I be measuring engine vacuum from the tree on the rear of the manifold?

Back N Black

There are two types of vacuum, ported and manifold vac. Ported vac is pretty much non-existent when the throttle blades are closed, normally you vac advance is connected to ported vac. As you accelerate the throttle blades open creating vac and adjusting your timing. Manifold vac works opposite, when engine is at idle manifold vac is at max, when you accelerate manifold vac drops. If you want to measure your engine vac it has to be at the manifold port.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: Back N Black on July 14, 2015, 08:02:31 AM
There are two types of vacuum, ported and manifold vac. Ported vac is pretty much non-existent when the throttle blades are closed, normally you vac advance is connected to ported vac. As you accelerate the throttle blades open creating vac and adjusting your timing. Manifold vac works opposite, when engine is at idle manifold vac is at max, when you accelerate manifold vac drops. If you want to measure your engine vac it has to be at the manifold port.
Thanks

green69rt

Just to be clear, ported vacuum is measured above the throttle plates and manifold vacuum below, or is it something else?

XH29N0G

Quote from: green69rt on July 14, 2015, 02:17:44 PM
Just to be clear, ported vacuum is measured above the throttle plates and manifold vacuum below, or is it something else?

Yes.  Mine has a little hole in the throttle body that connects up to the port.  The hole is about the height of the top of the transition slots and in one of the front barrels.  May be different on other carburetors.  The blades open up over the port, I do not know if that is important for controlling how it behaves.  What I see is no vacuum at idle, high vacuum at cruise, and low vacuum at WOT.  I hooked up a vac gauge out of curiosity to see what it was doing and do not know if this is the only way it is supposed to behave.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

John_Kunkel

In theory, there should be no vacuum at the ported nipple at idle but lumpy cams usually require the throttle blades to be open more to maintain idle speed and, as mentioned above, this exposes the transition slots which creates vacuum in the ported nipple.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.