News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

electric vacuum pump

Started by fireguyfire, June 22, 2015, 06:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

Been driving my 68 and am really happy with most of the performance after a full rotisserie restoration. The only thing I am hoping to make a bit better is the braking of the car.
I did a front disc brake conversion from Wilwood and am happy with the setup, but the car does not stop quite as good as it should. I had my brake booster rebuilt, and that helped but I'm still making less than perfect vacuum to operate it is my guess.
My buddy is a mechanic and says its a no brainer to put an electric vacuum pump into it; he has done it in a few older Cameros and has had excellent success; I see in old thread quite a few guys on here have added them on their 2nd gen chargers, so does anyone have an opinion on these before I go out and drop the $300 bucks?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

303 Mopar

Quote from: fireguyfire on June 22, 2015, 06:48:15 PM
Been driving my 68 and am really happy with most of the performance after a full rotisserie restoration. The only thing I am hoping to make a bit better is the braking of the car.
I did a front disc brake conversion from Wilwood and am happy with the setup, but the car does not stop quite as good as it should. I had my brake booster rebuilt, and that helped but I'm still making less than perfect vacuum to operate it is my guess.
My buddy is a mechanic and says its a no brainer to put an electric vacuum pump into it; he has done it in a few older Cameros and has had excellent success; I see in old thread quite a few guys on here have added them on their 2nd gen chargers, so does anyone have an opinion on these before I go out and drop the $300 bucks?

They work but are very loud.  I installed one in the trunk of my '71 Challenger and could not stand the sound, so I yanked it out and went with a Hydro set up. Great braking and no sound!
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Kern Dog

If you are handy with making stuff work, you can find them in junkyards. Diesel cars used them since diesel engines produce no vacuum. Lots of later model cars used them even with gas engines. I have one in my 70 Charger, mounted behind the drivers headlight inside the left wheelwell.

fireguyfire

Kern dog; did it make a big improvement on your '70?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

Kern Dog

It made a world of difference. I had a Comp Cams reserve tank that stored the meager vacuum the engine made but during traffic, the tank depleted. This pump makes the car feel as good as many new cars in terms of braking effort and feel.