News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bucket seat options- what frames interchange?

Started by ray230, June 15, 2015, 12:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray230

I have been trying to decide for a while what to do with the front buckets in my 68. Currently the seats in it are from a 74-75 Cordoba. Not bad shape but a few wear marks on the leather.

Options I have considered:
1. find a set of 68-69 B body frames and re-foam and cover. (hard to find and expensive even for junk rusty frames)
2. After market seats - haven't found anything I'm in love with yet.
3. Late model Challenger or Charger seats - Still on the list. Not sure how hard it would be to fit and mount. I've searched but haven't seen any threads on this. Anyone done it?
4. Re-foam and cover my current seats as a 70 Charger or Cuda. The seats look similar. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

Alaskan_TA

I can cover part of it.

The 1970 to early 1971 frames are unique in latch position & the foam is separate from the springs.

Late 71 & early 1972 have a different latch position than the earlier version & some have separate springs like the 1970-71 version & some have springs inside the foam.

No reproductions of the foam styles with springs inside the foam are available anywhere.

So, in a nutshell, converting your current frames to a 1970 version would very likely be more trouble than it is worth.

ray230

Thanks. Scrap that idea then.
Let's move up the list to #3. Anyone try this?

Dino

#3 should not be too hard.  Start by finding the dimensions of seat, frame, and bolt location.   Then look where it would end up in the car an what needs to be done.  Should be a fun weekend project. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

c00nhunterjoe

Im quite pleased with these from summit. 159 a peice and fit me nice at 6'2" 240lbs.

Mike DC

The options for non-classic-Mopar seats are generally going to be too tall (the back sticks up too high) in relation to the stockers.  I've looked at the options for this a bunch of times.   

If you can live with that, then great.  If not, it makes it a real problem finding anything.

Lots of people like the ProCar Rally (new aftermarket) seats in classic cars.  They were designed to look more at home in muscle-era stuff. 

ray230

Thanks for the feedback. I have the measurements for mine and the late model Challenger from a listing on ebay. I don't have the overall height to the top of the headrest though. I'll need to check that if I find some. The width and depth are fairly close though. I was hoping someone that had done it would chime in with pictures.

I'm not going to rush this. I'm still working out the bugs and recovering from an engine and transmission build.

Those look good Coonhunterjoe. I like the 2 tone interior.

70 sublime

A friend put these in a 67 Coronet
Think he said they were either from a Dakota or a Durango
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

tcc

I just installed a set of Jeg's sport seats. Upgraded the suspension and decided I needed more support. They are on the cheap side but are pretty comfortable.