News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much oil?

Started by Drache, May 11, 2015, 01:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

Changing the oil on the Dart and totally forgot what the previous owner said for an amount. I know a stock 440 takes 4+1 but my oil pan seems a little deeper than a stock pan or is that just me?

FYI the dipstick doesn't help since it's not for a 440  :slap:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

68 RT

Just put in the 5qts, run motor, then check when hot. Add as needed.  :shruggy:

Drache

Quote from: 68 RT on May 11, 2015, 01:14:31 PM
Just put in the 5qts, run motor, then check when hot. Add as needed.  :shruggy:

Check what? The engine doesn't have the correct dipstick  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

Not a stock motor or oil pan for sure. Tried to see if there was a number on the back but was nothing.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ACUDANUT

With that deep pan, I bet 7 quarts. Wait, that looks like a tranny pan, not a oil pan. Witch are we talking about ?

WHITE AND RED 69

First thing is to get a proper dipstick. Not a good idea driving around just guessing that you have enough oil.  :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 11, 2015, 03:55:34 PM
With that deep pan, I bet 7 quarts. Wait, that looks like a tranny pan, not a oil pan. Witch are we talking about ?

That second pic is your trans pan..... :shruggy:

Look at your orange engine oil pan...."187" stamped into it?  If so 4 plus 1 for the filter
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68X426

Please don't put motor oil in the tranny.  :rotz:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

BSB67

Quote from: Drache on May 11, 2015, 01:32:25 PM
Not a stock motor or oil pan for sure. Tried to see if there was a number on the back but was nothing.

You think this is your engine oil pan?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Drache

Quote from: BSB67 on May 11, 2015, 05:31:17 PM
You think this is your engine oil pan?

No trans pan. Havent slept in 48 hours and wasnt thinking straight

God I really need to sleep. Just forget everything .  :slap:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Stegs

i have what appears to be a stock pan....

If i do 5 quarts the dipstick reads add

if i do 6 quarts its level on the full mark

maybe its aftermarket but it sure looks stock

ws23rt

This is still a good question for those that have a different pan and are not sure about their dip stick.

The oil level should be at 1.5" below the pan mounting surface to read full on the right dipstick.

I needed to answer this question when I was making a custom oil pan for my motorcycle project. (426 hemi is the same as 440).
For my case I need a sight glass instead of dipstick.  Also my oil cooling system and filter location etc. requires an unknown extra amount from stock.

XH29N0G

See if this rings a bell with others.  I believe I have a pan that is 6 quart and takes an addition one for the filter.  This is on a charger not an A body, so it may not be relevant for your situation.  So I would see if you can find the number and ID the pan.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

scratchinfotraction

running over full will cause lots of windage and the oil rings will fill with oil and burn turning into carbon. this makes the ring "stick in the lands and cause blow-by out the pcv/breather.

I have done this 2x in the past THINKING a 6+ pan and ran over full for yrs till it had so much blow-by I did a tear down finding the rings packed/stuck in the lands.

so now any time I change oil for the first time on any mopar I do 4 quarts with filter and MARK stick. then add 1 quart and Mark stick full.

do it this way and mocking the pan up on a bench got me the 1.5" below gasket on my 440 for the correct amount with a stock windage tray.

windage tray cant do its job if the oil is to high in the pan.

everyone was telling me it was a 6 quart pan = NOT!

HeavyFuel

Quote from: scratchinfotraction on June 15, 2015, 09:18:21 AM
running over full will cause lots of windage and the oil rings will fill with oil and burn turning into carbon. this makes the ring "stick in the lands and cause blow-by out the pcv/breather.

I have done this 2x in the past THINKING a 6+ pan and ran over full for yrs till it had so much blow-by I did a tear down finding the rings packed/stuck in the lands.

so now any time I change oil for the first time on any mopar I do 4 quarts with filter and MARK stick. then add 1 quart and Mark stick full.

do it this way and mocking the pan up on a bench got me the 1.5" below gasket on my 440 for the correct amount with a stock windage tray.

Good tip.......and welcome to the site.   :wave:

scratchinfotraction

Quote from: HeavyFuel on June 15, 2015, 12:52:37 PM
Quote from: scratchinfotraction on June 15, 2015, 09:18:21 AM

Good tip.......and welcome to the site.   :wave:

Hi and thank you!  :cheers: