News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR Engine Identification

Started by Mediccraig, May 30, 2015, 02:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mediccraig

I recently bought a 1968 Charger with a 318.  Inspecting the block the casting number doesn't seem to match up with the manuals I have.  The number on the left side of the block above the starter is 25360303187.  I am also attaching the engine number from the left front of the block right below the head.  As you can tell from the picture the number has been double-struck.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Alaskan_TA

2536030 - Is the casting number.

318 - CID

7 - Mold used had been corrected for core shift 7 times.

I would love to see a straight on shot of the numbers you have in the picture, it looks like the engine was built once & came back for some reason because the two final assembly dates differ.

Is there a partial VIN stamped on the passenger side of the block?

Mediccraig

I moved the alternator out of the way to see the front of the right side of the block and there was no markings of any kind. Is this the right place to look for the partial VIN?

Alaskan_TA

Look on the passenger side of the block, down low, above the oil pan rail. Slightly behind the engine mount.

John_Kunkel

It appears that the VIN is stamped in the location below the head usually used for the engine serial number; being from Canada they might do things differently up there.  :shruggy:

8R identifies a '68 car built at the Windsor plant. To my knowledge only C-body Dodges and Plymouths were built there in '68.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Alaskan_TA

The number on the front it the engine serial number. It was stamped when the engine build was completed.

The engine VIN was stamped later, right before the engine & transmission went into a car.

Mediccraig

I did find the number on the right side above the oil pan. It is 23503150 or 28503150. Will follow with a picture later. It is hard to get to because of the headers. Don't know what this number matches up to.

Alaskan_TA

Possibly 2 B 503150?

If so, from a 1972 model year car from the Hamtramck plant.

Mediccraig

Could be a 'B'. Will post the picture tomorrow after I resize it.

Mediccraig

The more I look at it I am sure you're right about a '72 engine. Seller said it was a matching numbers car but I never believe what the seller claims unless there is some proof to back it up. Now that I know it isn't OEM I think I'll be building a fire breather instead of OEM restoration. Really what I wanted in the first place.

69CoronetRT

Let's assume the number 3968 is the Engine assembly date. That would equate to June 8, 1972.
Let's assume the VIN is 2B503150. That would equate to a scheduled production date of about July 8, 1972.
The engine assembly date and VIN would be totally appropriate for a 72 model year car.

Sooo....not the original engine.

:Twocents:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Mediccraig

Now that I've got the picture on my computer so it's big enough to see, the VIN definitely starts with '2B'.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on May 31, 2015, 03:59:49 PM
The number on the front it the engine serial number. It was stamped when the engine build was completed.

You're right. After looking closer the 8R that I thought was a year and plant code is the end of 318R (R for regular fuel) and the 3968 or 3990 are very late '72 date codes.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.