News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone here replaced a PS gear box ?

Started by ACUDANUT, May 07, 2015, 06:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Any advise or secrets/Tips to do this ?

skip68

I had to tighten mine down when I got my car but there wasn't a motor in the way.   I think you have to loosen the steering column and pull it back a couple inches, remove the pitman arm, drain fluid and remove the bolts (3 I think) and take out.   There is adjustments that can be done if it's just sloppy to take the play out of it.  Man it's been about 10 years since I did it.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

1973rallye

What specifically has you stumped? Or are you looking for the start to finish procedure for your 72?
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

1973rallye

Just did mine recently skip. That about sums it up.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed

BrianShaughnessy

If you have headers it sux 10X more than with manifolds.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

ACUDANUT

My gear box leaks bad.  No headers. Do you have to raise the engine up any to remove the gear box ?

mopar0166

its a pain in butt , I did it when my small block was in,  then took it off and put it aback on when it was out it was night an day.

your talking hours verus an hour

one of the jobs that make ya grind your teeth

HeavyFuel

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 08, 2015, 10:03:27 AM
My gear box leaks bad.  No headers. Do you have to raise the engine up any to remove the gear box ?

No need to raise the engine.

jessejames

I've done a few... I always removed column in fear of damaging the collapsible shaft inside the steering column. After you get the roll pin out and disconnect the pitman arm it's not bad at all. Just heavy as hell! I remember taking notes on what position the pitman arm was in before removing it from old box. Take your time... It's not a bad job at all. :cheers:

1973rallye

For my 73, disconnected the one side of the center link, moved it aside. My friend looped a used drive belt around it and took the weight off it as I guided out the bottom. Took us a little over an hour and half to get the new one in and the steering column reconnected.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed

flyinlow

I changed mine with the engine bolted in. Headers where off, 440,'73. Hardest part was getting the coupling pin out. If you are going to reuse the pitman arm you might want to remove it while the box is still bolted to the car.

Bronzedodge

I did mine in my 69 after I got my new box from Steep & Gear @ Carlisle last year.  Column fully loose, remove starter for room, loosen pitman arm nut while it's still bolted on.  The roll pin in the coupler is a real trick if the column does not lock like in 69.   Use puller to remove the pitman arm - mine was the 1st removal since 1969.  Broke the first puller, 2nd one was on for a day w/ Kroil on the splines.  Kroil / Liquid wrench on the back of the box bolts to avoid damage to the threads in the k frame.   It's heavy.
Mopar forever!

Kern Dog

The easiest is with slant six cars!
I've changed a few. Shaughnessy is right: Headers do make it much harder. Advice: If you're going to make the swap, replace the unit with a Firm Feel stage 3 if you have the money. Considering the limited miles you will drive the car, the steering box may never need to come out again. The stage 3 is a good feel for our cars but is still lighter than most new cars. The wife and I bought a 2015 Challenger. It has electric power steering. GREAT idea, since boost can be controlled with 3 available settings from the dash.