News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Was power trunk an option in '68?

Started by cavemanno1, May 04, 2015, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavemanno1

Just saw a '68 on ebay that has a power antenna and power trunk option!I have never heard that they were options back then,were they?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-R-T-Hardtop-2-Door-/111659706975?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19ff6fea5f&item=111659706975

A383Wing

not on the Charger, only "C" body cars had power trunk release

easy to add to the Charger though, I did to mine....

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Cncguy

It seems like the General lee had a Power trunk in some episodes. I could be wrong though.

kab69440

I don't know about '68, but in '69 you could get a vacuum powered trunk release.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

A383Wing

Quote from: kab69440 on May 04, 2015, 07:59:27 PM
I don't know about '68, but in '69 you could get a vacuum powered trunk release.

not in a Charger

VegasCharger

Holy Crap!!! That 68 is literally 5 to 8 miles from me. I should contact the seller and ask to see it in person. I have no intentions on bidding on it and I will let the seller know before hand if he allows me to look at it. I need some more motivation on my 68 and this might do it :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Thanks for sharing :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ghoste

Ditto on the power antenna by the way.  (not an option)

Pedal2Metal

His fender tag isn't stamped for power antenna or trunk release, presumably because it wasn't an option. I dunno what to make of those wheels...19" front and 20" rear, crazy, rear inner fender guards have been cut or molded to fit. For you experts, could the column shift be moved to the tunnel without any cutting...just attach console braces and console? And could a modern toploader manual be put in without cutting for hump? Will be interesting to see if it breaks the $50K barrier.
32 Oakland V8, 42 Hudson Pickup, 58 Messerschmitt KR200, 60 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz Vert, 65 Ford GT40 351/Webers (CAV), 69 Shelby GT500, 68 Charger 440 R/T, 71 Hemi Cuda Vert 4-Speed Tribute

mightywing7

I don't remember if the fender tag would have a spot for either of those options.  However, through the years, I have come across several '68s and '69s with the vacuum operated truck release installed.  I'm guessing this could have been a dealer accessory added afterwards (??).  My 68 R/T had it when I purchased it from the original owner 30+ years ago but never thought much about it.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

Ghoste

IIRC correctly there was a dealer installed accessory trunk release available.  Power antenna may fall into that group as well,  I'll check my accessory catalog when I get home tonight.   But definitely not a factory one for 69 Charger.

ODZKing

According to the dealer data books, C body only from the factory.
However dealers would install anything if you asked them to.

6bblgt

& in 45+ years, owners of cars have added all sorts of parts/options salvaged from junkyards/other

Brock Lee

Quote from: Cncguy on May 04, 2015, 07:41:02 PM
It seems like the General lee had a Power trunk in some episodes. I could be wrong though.

They added power trunk releases to the closeup cars in later years. There was a release button on the dash and another in place of the trunk lock.

tan top

[
Quote from: ODZKing on May 05, 2015, 12:12:38 PM
According to the dealer data books, C body only from the factory.
However dealers would install anything if you asked them to.

that's what i'm thinking  too ,   :yesnod:

although , I use to think long time ago , that there was a power trunk release option for a charger  , seeing one in GL in  the DOH when I was a kid  , done it  :yesnod:

had this picture saved for a long time from Ebay , was supposedly  for a 68/69 charger  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

stripedelete

I had that exact vacuum can under the hood of my charger.  Always wondered where it came from. 

Ghoste

Took a look through the 69 accessories catalog and it isn't there.  That does NOT mean that a dealer wouldn't happily order it in from Chrysler or another aftermarket supplier at put it in for you, only that Chrysler wasn't specifically promoting one for it.  The catalog does have an add on power antenna they would sell you.

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: stripedelete on May 05, 2015, 10:14:49 PM
I had that exact vacuum can under the hood of my charger.  Always wondered where it came from. 

Looking at putting this on my 70 coronet..where was vacuum canister mounted? :shruggy:

MxRacer855

Pedal2Metal

Darn. The black/black eBay Charger was inspected today and the VIN does not match the partial vin digits on the fender tag. 
32 Oakland V8, 42 Hudson Pickup, 58 Messerschmitt KR200, 60 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz Vert, 65 Ford GT40 351/Webers (CAV), 69 Shelby GT500, 68 Charger 440 R/T, 71 Hemi Cuda Vert 4-Speed Tribute

Pedal2Metal

Embarrassing. The guy that inspected the car just called me. It is numbers matching. In 68 the last digits of the fender tag do not match the vin but match the car production number and the build sheet. Yes, there is a build sheet. So the car is quite original and rust free. The main issue is all four original fenders had the lips cut to fit the tires, and original door panels cut to fit speakers, and a couple of other oddities.  It's been lowered. But it's pretty much rust free, with lots of factory options. What would you pay?