News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Iron head casting numbers question

Started by Bob T, May 29, 2015, 05:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob T

Hi Guys, I've got some ported iron heads off a mate of mine, the casting numbers are
3482348 second 8 below that.
What are these heads can anyone tell me?

Also, on my 440 HP2 built Sept 67 , would the heads be 906 or 915? ( haven't had a look yet and am away for the weekend)
Which is the better performer out of the two?

Or is there a reference site somewhere to look up info on?

Thanks
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

ws23rt

I tend to forget that almost any information is available on the internet.

Surly you did a search for that casting number as did I (just for the exercise in searching). What I did not come up with is that number as a head casting. ( I only look at the first page of results which is where one would expect the answer to a search).

Since it is a casting number it tells me that the internet is not yet full of information. :slap: Or at least google has work left to do. :lol:

Challenger340

"3462346....... not "8"
early 1970's open chamber head, same ports and configuration as the later "452" castings. They can be made to flow quite well for a stock iron head, nothing wrong with them.

Can't tell what head is on Sept '67 Engine, you will have to look.
I prefer the 915 for the closed chamber quench.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Bob T

Ok, thanks for that Bob. Quite right, 6's not 8's, hard to tell off the cellphone photo I took.
Found a spec sheet on Allpar site  :2thumbs:

Next is to get them over to another mates place to assess them and go from there
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

b5blue

Exhaust seats were induction hardened. These heads can flow nicely if the valves seats are not cut sinking the valve into the head. (That also cuts through the induction hardening as it's a surface treatment.)