News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sandblasting and Powder Coating Brake Booster / Wiper Motor. ???

Started by Canadian1968, March 04, 2015, 06:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I am in the process of cleaning up the various pieces in the engine bay. I want to clean up the brake booster and wiper motor. I am trying to decided if it would be ok to sandblast these pieces. I would obviously tape/ seal off the the bottom of the wiper motor and front and rear of the booster. The wiper motor is pretty much sealed other than that, but the brake booster ( bendix ) has a crimped seam around the middle, is there anywhere sand can get inside and do any sort of damage?

As well powder coating these pieces...... I have little experience powder coating , but I know the pieces need to be baked at high temp (450F) for curing.  Would that sort of temperature damage anything?

Patronus

You would have to remove the seals and piston from the interior of the master cylinder to powder coat it. I wouldn't worry too much about the seam in the booster, just take it easy prepping in those areas. These areas are exposed to brake fluid, an excellent paint remover. Powder coating would hold up ok, perhaps someone here has done the MC? I have powder coated before. Use the hi-temp tape to seal it up. Try to apply the powder to the recessed areas first and work your way out. If its on too heavy you can just un-ground or blow off the piece and re-spray.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Passion4Mopars

I've had the cylinder on a wiper motor or two powder coated for customers and the tolerances won't allow for much overlap.  When I got the cylinders back the housing wouldn't fit into the cylinder/barrell so I had to grind some of that away to get the two together so that's my only experience, it is doable.  With the wiper motor remember that the windings have paper backing, too much heat and you can burn the varnish off the armature, and let's not forget the gear.  It also can melt, I've seen some good damage to those with a carb fire toasting a motor or two...ok, maybe a half a dozen   :-)

Canadian1968

Ya, the more I thought about it the more I thought not such a good idea . I will just spray them with some black epoxy