News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Upper Door Panels don't seem to fit

Started by auxiliarytwin, June 08, 2015, 04:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auxiliarytwin

Hello,

I got a 72 se and the upper Brougham door panels with pulls don't seem to fit on the doors.  I have 4 sets I've collected and they all seem to be about an inch too short to make contact with clip holes.  Am I doing something wrong here?  Do I need to really stretch them or something?

fyi I bought the car with the door panels in the trunk.  never had them on myself but I know they are correct for 72 se.

Thanks in advance.

71_Charger_R/T

Sounds like the tops are not nestled all the way down over the lip by the bottom of the door glass.  It may help to roll the window down to get the panel in place properly. :Twocents:

ACUDANUT

Beware, you might have 73/74 top door panels and they don't fit the same, unless you have the correct bottom panels.  We need pics.  :2thumbs:

71_Charger_R/T

Yes, '73-4 tops are different height but he says "I know they are correct for 72 se."  The lowers are the same from '71-'74 so that won't solve the problem if they are indeed '73-4 uppers.

ODZKing

I'm not 100% sure on that. 72 lower panels are pn 3222-3(color code) and 73-4 are 3414-5(color code)
I was always told they are taller in the later years. Guys over at the 3rd gen forum could tell you for sure.

71_Charger_R/T

I can tell you for sure!  My car is a '71 and I'm using the lower (fronts) from a '74 donor parts car I bought. The rear lowers are different as there were seatbelt retractors in them and the arm rest cushions are molded in. Color codes could very well be different, but the front lower panel itself, is the same!

ODZKing

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on June 10, 2015, 06:22:18 AM
I can tell you for sure!  My car is a '71 and I'm using the lower (fronts) from a '74 donor parts car I bought. The rear lowers are different as there were seatbelt retractors in them and the arm rest cushions are molded in. Color codes could very well be different, but the front lower panel itself, is the same!
Hmm, OK.  Good to know.  Thanks 71 RT.
Mike over at the third gen forum concurs, however added this:
Lower door panels fit 71-74
But 72 SE has unique upper panels.

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: ODZKing on June 10, 2015, 08:44:57 AM
Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on June 10, 2015, 06:22:18 AM
Hmm, OK.  Good to know.  Thanks 71 RT.
Mike over at the third gen forum concurs, however added this:
Lower door panels fit 71-74
But 72 SE has unique upper panels.

Well, even if the '72 SE upper panels are unique, I can assure you, It should fit a '71-2 door! There is NOTHING different with the door shells that would cause it not to fit! Yes I know the outer door skins can be different, but the door SHELLS for '71-2 are the same.  If the doors are on the car, he would notice if they were '73-4s quite redly!  Which "Mike" on the Third Gen forum? Purple?

ODZKing

Nacho-RT74

71/72 doors are around 1 inch and a half higher than 73/74, so the same for upper panels. Lowers remain the same height.

73/74 regular upper panels are the same design than 72 so you can easily confuse these, but just the stated height difference.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

Nacho, is the expect here on 3rd gens.  :2thumbs:

auxiliarytwin

Ok,

so let me get this straight.  from what I read here I probably have 73/74 doors on my 72 Charger?  Or maybe 73/74 door frame parts?  I am a little confused.

here is a link of the type of door panels I have. and how they currently sit.
http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/auxiliarytwin1/slideshow/Door%20Panels

to clarify the Brougham white (with door grip handle) upper door panel sits about 1inch to 1 1/2in high for the clips to line up.  It doesn't reach when hanging from the top.  it is closer toward the front of the door , maybe a half inch there before it clears, but it just is not lining up for some reason.

If I am correct, would i have to switch out my panels for 73/74, replace the doors with 71/71 or can i swap out door frame parts?  or do I have 73/74 Brougham white upper door panels?

also is there a 3rd gen charger site?

thoughts?

ACUDANUT

I don't think 71-72 Chargers had a pull strap to close the door.  On the drivers side door  (jam area), there is a decal. What year does it say the car was made.
Nobody would use 73/74 door frame parts on a 71/72.  It's not worth the time, when doors are a dime a dozen.

auxiliarytwin

the car was made in January 72.

the weird thing is the pics i've seen of 72 se's include both the ones I posted and the regular ones with just white and wood grain.

ODZKing

I believe 72 SE Brougham's did.
I could not find many in my search but I did find a few.
Here is one and the door panel, while with the handles, is similar but different.
http://www.2040-cars.com/Dodge/Charger/1972-dodge-charger-se-brougham-all-original--297070/

auxiliarytwin

So, based on this info.  all 4 sets that I have are Brougham 73/74?

ACUDANUT

You might send Nacho the pic's. He is our resident expert.  :cheers:

auxiliarytwin

ok, so after some trial/error/research I came to the following.

they made the identical Brougham upper door panels from 1972-1973, however the ones from 72 are an inch and a half taller on one side.  I have 3 sets of 73 and 1 set of 72 that came with the car (which are pretty terrible, and why I didn't even consider them before).  This is just so weird and strange to me considering I grabbed 1 set (pulled them off myself) from another 72 Charger se Brougham (unknown build date).

This sucks lol.

So since there is no real way to fix the 1 set I do have, perhaps I can trade for a set with the sets I have.

ACUDANUT