News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 steering column/horn harness wiring

Started by Hop Head, April 12, 2015, 02:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Head

Hey folks, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the steering column harness for a 69 charger with column shifter. I'm looking for the wire that is hooked up to the roller for the horn ring. I'm in the process of replacing the steering wheel and I have a stong suspicion that the roller wheel is not making contact with the copper ring on the new wheel.
Another question, will the horn to work when the car is turned off, or does it have to be running? 

Thanks....

fy469rtse

Your testing my memory here,
Yes horn should work all the time,
I think black wire is the earth , that's all that runs through column,
Power to relay , through engine harness loom,
Test you have power to relay , touch ground the earth wire at relay, horns should sound, ? It could be a bad relay

Nacho-RT74

you should be getting 3 wires into the relay on radiator core support

Violet--- batt source coming from alternator stud
Green traced--- output to horns ( positive )
Black--- ground trigger from column switch

SO you can make two test:

GROUND to chassis the rping where the black wire arrives to test if relay works. You should hear a small click into the relay. That will tell you if relay works propperly. Then horns should work.

Test with a multitester for black wire conditions. Positive lead of tester on a psoitive 12 volts source ( it can be the violet wire ) negative lead of tester to black wire coming from harness. You should get 12 volts on tester when pressing the steering wheel horn button. Can be made with a testing bulb too no matter which ends to which wire since bulb will light up on any position
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html