News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

painting engine

Started by Silver R/T, March 19, 2006, 04:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

How would I paint engine/block with auto paint, Ive heard about putting high temp paint on first then going over with regular auto paint.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

terrible one

Why not just use the hi-temp paint? It was made for a reason lol. I don't think normal paint would be able to hold up for very long at all.

Silver R/T

cause I dont want it to be able to come off easily like mine does right now

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

terrible one

Regular paint will come off a helluva lot easier than engine paint.

The key to making engine paint stay on is the prep work. Clean the block and stuff thoroughly then go at it with some brake parts cleaner to get it nice and dry.Grease is your main enemy when painting an engine. I did this and with a rattle can job have one lasting 2 years so far, besides burning at the exhaust ports on the heads.

daytonakid

Hi, The paint coming off easy is not the paints fault. You need something designed to stick to bare metal. In my shop we treat the motor like the rest of the body. Clean and prep good, bare metal gets a coat of etch primer, then a coat of epoxy (red on an orange mopar motor), them your top coat. I prefer to base coat/clearcoat them because the pores on the clear coat are so tight dirt and grease clean very easy. My Superbird clone motor was painted 4 years ago and has been all over the country 35,000 miles and looks as good as it did when it was finished. It is more work but it holds up very well. Bill
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

Silver R/T

any pictures of the above mentioned engine?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

forget rattle can paints. they suck something fierce.

What I do is clear the block real good. usually I have the machine shop tank it, then do the machine work, then i clean it real good with brake cleaner, then wipe it down with lacquer thinner. then spray Epoxy primer followed by color (either base/clear or single stage)

Mine have never dulled, faded, changed colors, or flaked off in years. the 440 was done 2 years ago and looks like i day i sprayed it.

Ryan

I agree base coat clear coat is the only thing I will paint engines with, it looks sooo much better.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

JimShine

Yeah, avoid rattle can paint. I carefully wire wheeled down my oil pan last September when we changed the oil pump and blew it out in high temp black engine paint just to seal it up. Yesterday I was under there and I could see the tiny speckles of rust forming.