News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 hemi charger 500 front suspension colors with drum brakes?

Started by hemiron1, October 20, 2016, 04:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemiron1

Maybe this question has been answered before?  But I'm looking for the (correct) aka general colors for my front suspension parts? Black, bare steel, cosmoline ect. Thanks Hemiron

hemigeno

hemiron1

Was the upper control arm cosmoline or black? How about the front stabilizer bar? Black or ?. More details would be Very Much appreciated.  Thanks Again Ron.

hemigeno

Quote from: hemiron1 on October 20, 2016, 08:26:36 PM
Was the upper control arm cosmoline or black?    At least during the late '69 model year run, OEM/assembly line UCA's were bare steel with cosmoline.  NOS replacements were often black.  Not 100% sure about early '69 such as for a C500, but most likely the same.

How about the front stabilizer bar? Black?   Yes - assuming you mean the front sway bar... it was painted black, including the two mounting brackets.

If you have specific component finish questions, feel free to ask.

hemiron1

Ok this is what I'm hoping to find out about front suspension colors for a Hamtramck December 1968 build date charger with hemi and 11" drum brakes. Any and all help will be Much appreciated. Ron
Drums
Front backing plates
Upper and lower control arms
Center link
Strut rod's
Steering linkages
Upper and lower ball joints
Sway bar end links
Inner and outer tie rod ends
Tie rod adjusting sleeves
Idler arm
Pitman arm
Steering knuckles

Thanks all for your help!

hemiron1

Ok maybe just an answer on 1 or 2 items would be great?
Upper control arm, backing plates,  sway bar end links? Thanks again! Hemiron1.

hemigeno

I've already mentioned that assembly-line Upper Control Arms were bare steel with cosmoline... and that the front sway bar & the brackets/bushings that attached it were painted black - probably because this was fairly visible from the front of the car.

Quote from: hemigeno on October 21, 2016, 10:29:48 AM

Quote from: hemiron1 on October 20, 2016, 08:26:36 PM
Was the upper control arm cosmoline or black?   At least during the late '69 model year run, OEM/assembly line UCA's were bare steel with cosmoline.  NOS replacements were often black.  Not 100% sure about early '69 such as for a C500, but most likely the same.

How about the front stabilizer bar? Black?   Yes - assuming you mean the front sway bar... it was painted black, including the two mounting brackets.

The majority of the stamped or forged/cast components on your list were left bare.  That includes drums, backing plates (there's folks that say these had some sort of phosphate coating, others say there was light cosmoline applied - we left mine bare), center link, strut rods, steering linkages, upper & lower ball joints, sway bar end links, tie rod ends & sleeves, idler arm, Pitman arm, & steering knuckles.  This is where a bucket of Evap-O-Rust and a container of "RPM" from ECS Automotive are absolute necessities.  There will be differences in the colorations of those components naturally, because of stamped steel vs. cast iron vs. forged steel.

On the lower control arms, you can still coat the "bare" end (that wasn't coated with cosmoline during the dipping process) with RPM to keep it from flash rusting.

hemiron1