News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear window/pakage tray on Superbird....

Started by Hemi Runner, January 04, 2015, 09:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Runner

How is this finished out and how does the rear window plug change this area as compared to the base roadrunner? Can someone post a pic or two?

FJ5WING

I just looked through my pics but I don't have anything that will help you out.

I have the interior together so I cant get you anything now.
wingless now, but still around.

pettybird

there is literally no finishing work  :lol:

The plug has the headliner teeth on it instead of the body like on a RR.

The package tray has a big ass hump in it to cover the plug.

The rubber/vinyl inner trim is a different length.

dak440

The headliner gets glued down where it meets the package tray (metal) and the fiber board tray itself just fits up flush against the headliner on the sides. The fiberboard is a little challenging to install because it doesn't sit flat like a normal B body. It has a pretty significant "hump"in it where it extends over the standard dutchman/window ledge back to the rear window plug. I am finishing one right now and will get some pics for you as soon as I recover from the flu I have. Give me a couple of days. Hope this helps.

Hemi Runner

Thanks for the info. I'm hanging the rear sheet metal and then I'll be ordering a plug from DonC1. I'm not sure if his will have the headliner teeth on it. Who sells the package tray for the superbirds?

billssuperbird

That's good to know I that I put mine in wrong.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: oldcarnut on January 06, 2015, 10:56:13 AM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43102.275.html     scroll down a few

That hump in the package tray is huge. Is there anything under it or is it just formed that way??

pettybird

the repops are lightly formed but jam into place OK.  There's a pile of jute padding over cardboard, and then there's cloth glued to that.  Originals had a textured fiber board with no cloth.  REM makes it--the same people that make repops for everything else.

Unless Don goes out of his way I don't think the teeth come with a plug...you use them off of your car.  You have to remove them anyway.

dak440

Here's a pic of the "hump" of an original package shelf fiberboard illustrating how significant the curvature is. New boards do not have this hump...time and gravity forms the hump over the original b body window ledge. The headliner fits over the teeth on the sides and top and the headliner material folds under the fiberboard on the shelf sides.

Redbird

Nice picture with the blue tape to show the curve.

Originals also had a fiber/paper like mix pad glued and attached to the bottom to absorb sound. Wonder if that had asbestos in it?

Hemi Runner

Quote from: pettybird on January 06, 2015, 06:48:22 PM
the repops are lightly formed but jam into place OK.  There's a pile of jute padding over cardboard, and then there's cloth glued to that.  Originals had a textured fiber board with no cloth.  REM makes it--the same people that make repops for everything else.

Unless Don goes out of his way I don't think the teeth come with a plug...you use them off of your car.  You have to remove them anyway.

I got the headliner teeth off, no problem. I'm not sure I'll go the repop route for a race car. Maybe I could find a tattered original cheap and give it a shot of Krylon :2thumbs:

70Sbird

Mike,
If you need a pattern or need to get a better look at what an original looks like, you know where I live!

Scott Faulkner

Hemi Runner

Yeah I just got steel front fenders and need to make a nose mount. We'll have to get together.