News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 transmission cooler inlet/outlet

Started by bbody68, January 21, 2015, 02:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbody68

Hi
  Can anyone advise me of which side is the inlet side of the transmission cooler in the factory radiator (68 charger 383)? I am setting up a auxiliary cooler in series with the trans cooler tube in the radiator and want to make sure it's on the outlet side. The engine and trans aren't in installed so i can't start it up to check for flow.
Thanks Brad

fy469rtse

It won't matter brad, if your setting it up like I think you are,
Just interrupting one line ,
Even if you get it wrong fluid will either pass through cooler before going through radiator section to cool more, or the other way round ,
Still going through both to cool tranny fluid,
Just do it so it looks neat, will still work either way  :2thumbs:
Geoff

bbody68

Thanks for your reply Geoff, my thinking is that if it was installed on the inlet side and the trans fluid was entering the cooler at a temp below the radiator water temp level the radiator cooler would bring the temp back up on the fluid that just passed thru the aux cooler to radiator temp? I'm probably just overthinking things as usual! Cheers Brad

Cooter

Quote from: bbody68 on January 21, 2015, 04:17:57 AM
Thanks for your reply Geoff, my thinking is that if it was installed on the inlet side and the trans fluid was entering the cooler at a temp below the radiator water temp level the radiator cooler would bring the temp back up on the fluid that just passed thru the aux cooler to radiator temp? I'm probably just overthinking things as usual! Cheers Brad

Yes! Rendering the auxiliary cooler inoperative. This is a common mistake DYIERS make. Yes, I does matter how it's hooked up. pull one line, slip rubber hose over from both rad. And line into a bucket. Have somebody briefly start car and  see which is outlet.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

John_Kunkel

In original configuration, the fluid entered the radiator on the passenger side and exited on the drivers side.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bbody68

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not able to use your method Cooter as the car isn't running at the moment. John i will plumb the cooler in after the pass side radiator outlet. Thanks again Brad

bbody68

Just re read your reply John , I will instal the cooler after the drivers side outlet! Cheers Brad

Just 6T9 CHGR

Here's how the factory hemi cars did it...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T