News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

duel carb question

Started by darkside, March 23, 2006, 02:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkside

If your running two 4barrel carbs should you use carbs with electric chokes ?My car has two early  600 eld.carbs with no chokes and it is kinda a bitch to start,I haft to pump it about 6 times before it fires up .I was thinking of getting two 500cfm eld carbs with electric chokes.What would you recoemend?I'm running an rare 70's duel four offenheiser intake.

Ghoste

I suppose depending on how progressive your linkage is, but don't most street multi carb setups just use a choke on the primary carb?
Pumping it six times isn't necessarily that bad anyway but that's going to annoy everyone individually.  Unless both carbs are opening at the same rate, I'd just put a choke on the main one first.

jg68

I've always had problems with eddys needing a choke even with a single carb, i'm running 2 600 1850 holleys on my weiand, its the first time i've ever run a T/R, they have no chokes, it fires right up with a couple of 1/2 throttle pumps after sitting a week. you may want to try some holley 600s if your in the market for buying different carbs.

67_Dodge_Charger

I would go with two edelbrock 500s with the electric choke.  The engine will run lean on the back cyclinders if you go with one electric choke carb and one manual choke carb.  Going with the electric choke carbs will take care of the problem of cold starts.  I am putting two manual choke carbs on a tunnel ram.  I will be driving in the summer months only and I don't mind pumping the gas pedal a couple times.  Plus it will keep my 17 year old son from taking the car out for a spin.

good luck

-Robert

sext7366

I agree with the two eddy 500's but also just wanted to mention that my 600 cfm single four barrel manual choke383 requires 3 pumps to get it to start regularly, so six makes sense.

Ghoste

My single Holley 750 will take four pumps on cooler spring and fall days so I think every car has it's own unique needs for that.

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on March 24, 2006, 04:42:32 AM
I suppose depending on how progressive your linkage is, but don't most street multi carb setups just use a choke on the primary carb?
Pumping it six times isn't necessarily that bad anyway but that's going to annoy everyone individually.  Unless both carbs are opening at the same rate, I'd just put a choke on the main one first.

I agree with Ghoste.  If you're running a progressive linkage, all you need is a choke on the primary carburetor.  Street Hemi's operate on a progressive linkage and have no choke at all on the front (secondary) carburetor.  The front carb doesn't begin to open up at all until you hit about half-throttle.  I use a pair of 390 cfm 4bbl carburetors on the 2-ton truck (401cid), and I have used both a straight and a progressive linkage on it, and I much prefer the progressive.  On that combo I also use a choke only on the rear/primary carburetor.

If pumping the gas pedal is a problem for you, you'll either have to install an electric fuel pump, or dump some gasoline down the carburetor throat (and risk washing oil off the cylinder walls).  With our modern-day sorry excuse for gasoline, having to pump the gas pedal is a function of reformulated gasoline's volatility as much as anything.