News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Hemi vs wedge

Started by ws23rt, January 05, 2015, 10:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

This may have been posted already but just incase.-- It's a good read and in it is the old combustion chamber shape consideration.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1502-we-take-a-hard-look-at-dodges-paradigm-shifting-707hp-hellcat-hemi/

1974dodgecharger

So to sum up CHRYSLER upped the ante on engine building and cost per HP that NO one sees from the other manufactures and with a warranty even with racing its warranted.  For Ford and Chevy they cant beat that except for get mad until they come up with something better and it seems they will NOT for a long time.

Ghoste

Very well could be, CAFE will put it under for a long time.

Cooter

Meh, I hear there's an 862 HP mustang now. These "HP wars" are kinda like BJ auctions. Bunch of rich guys (auto makers) flopping em out to see who's is longest (deepest pockets).
Meanwhile, they very customers they are aiming these things at cannot afford what they are making.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

moparnation74

In the short term they take a loss on these cars.  However, that loss has gotten a hell of a lot of free advertising and publicity.  When you weigh the costs, loss vs advertising it possibly balances out.  In the end it also brings buyers that cannot afford the hellcat but can purchase another model.

Great article btw  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

Cooter, how could they have done this to satisfy you? 

$60k apiece is a big number but its probably a financial loss for Mopar overall.  People all over America pay that much for PICKUP TRUCKS every day.  The Hellcat program really does not smell like an elitist-oriented thing in the big picture.

JB400

I say the Hellcat is marketing genius if you look at what was talked about in relation to Chrysler before the introduction.  Fiat buyout, no Viper sales, an oversized muscle car, slumping Dart sales, poor interiors, poor quality, just to name a few. The FCA needed a fresh, new, positive imaging campaign.  Introduction of the Hellcat, in combination of the diesel 1500, the Chrysler 200, and fresh updates for sedans, Jeep, and the Challenger, have really brought things into the green for Chrysler.

If they are losing money on the Hellcat, they're making it up elsewhere. They'd probably be willing to mark them at half the price if they could.

Mike DC

Yep  . . . . anything to fix their image problems without resorting to improving quality in general!

lloyd3

The video at the end of the article is excellent. I've never seen a modern hemi pulled apart before and it's interesting to compare it to the older technology that I'm more familiar with. I've got a little boy who would enjoy watching it, I suspect.

stripedelete

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 06, 2015, 01:42:47 PM

$60k apiece is a big number but its probably a financial loss for Mopar overall.  People all over America pay that much for PICKUP TRUCKS every day.  The Hellcat program really does not smell like an elitist-oriented thing in the big picture.

True.  I just wish half those people buying $60k pickups didn't want me to pay for their healthcare and kids college education.

But hey, " you can live in your car, but, you can't drive your house". :)

Mike DC

QuoteI just wish half those people buying $60k pickups didn't want me to pay for their healthcare and kids college education.

How many $60k truck buyers are also struggling on govt assistance?   :shruggy: 

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 06, 2015, 01:42:47 PM

$60k apiece is a big number but its probably a financial loss for Mopar overall.  People all over America pay that much for PICKUP TRUCKS every day.  The Hellcat program really does not smell like an elitist-oriented thing in the big picture.

$85k (Afterall, that's what dealers are asking so that's most likely what so many who just have to set the bar and have to have one will pay), I didn't pay much more for my house. Now, you can look at it one of two ways....either I got one helluva expensive Hellcat, or I got a cheap house. I know which Way me and a lot of the rest of what's left of the free world is gonna look at it.

No matter, as Ford is gonna drop the gas V8 by 2017 and the rest will soon follow so I'm sure those on govt. Dole will be lining up to drop $2000/month for a sure fire collector.

"Folks! Last of the V8's. Limited production. Only $1,000,000.00 today. Better get it before it's GONE!!"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

stripedelete

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 13, 2015, 03:38:00 PM
QuoteI just wish half those people buying $60k pickups didn't want me to pay for their healthcare and kids college education.

How many $60k truck buyers are also struggling on govt assistance?   :shruggy: 

Probably none.   It was a sarcastic comment.  Not all $60 truck buyers are rich, many simply lack good priorities.

Cooter

"Rich" is relative. I've got buddies trying to survive on $200.00/wk. To them, I make good money, but I chose to live like I make the same money. If you can barely afford a $1500/month truck/car payment (including ins.), you may not be "rich", but are living (if one can call it that just to own a Hellcat) hand to mouth unless you've got 'assistance' from somewhere.

Mike DC

I agree.  Much of the free world would call an $85k house or a $25k pickup truck extravagant.  It's all a matter of perspective.  Most of the 7 billion people in the world live on $500/year.

98 or 99% of America cannot (or should not) blow $60k on a pickup truck.  But you still see $60k trucks every single day.  Regardless of how many people can't afford it there are still lots of remaining people who can.