News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

63 to 64 Chrysler factory Super Stock question

Started by Ghoste, January 12, 2015, 10:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

My understanding has long been that the front end on the lightweight cars was changed from aluminum in 63 to thin gauge steel in 64 because of NHRA mandate.  Lately I read an article alleging the change was made by Chrysler for "durability" purposes.  I can't understand the partially added durability of thin gauge steel over aluminum being much of a concern on a special purpose car intended for a single season of racing.  But on the other hand I've never seen a copy of any document from NHRA ruling that alloy front ends were banned.
Are there any drag historians here that know better? 

gtx6970

Dont hold me to this as I am a long way from being well versed on 63-64 cars.

But I think there was aluminum ft ends on the 64 cars as well.

Again I am not 100% but I dont think the light weight steel cars arrived till 65 

If I am wrong I'm sure someone will correct me

Ghoste

You could be right on that as well.  Do you have any idea about it being a Chrysler decision or a rule change though?  John Kunkel knows these cars I think?

JB400

I thought the switch back to steel was in '65, while both '63/4 had aluminum? :popcrn:

el dub

Did they have aluminium doors like this race car?
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

gtx6970

John_Kunkel

Quote from: JB400 on January 12, 2015, 11:45:08 AM
I thought the switch back to steel was in '65, while both '63/4 had aluminum? :popcrn:

Yep, '64 was still aluminum. Acid-dipped steel was '65 A990 cars.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

John, do you know if it was a Chrysler decision or a rule change?

John_Kunkel

The 1965 NHRA Super Stock rules required all-steel bodies but they didn't specify how thick.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.