News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing oil pan and timing cover

Started by lasvegas69charg, December 29, 2014, 11:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasvegas69charg

Hi. I'm getting ready to change my chrome oil pan cover and chrome timing cover due to leaks. Is it easier to do it with the engine in the car or should I drop the K member. My garage has a car lift in it so to get the K member out is fairly easy. The only issue is I just did a full restoration about a 1.5 year ago and I got everything dialed in.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

moparnation74

Man, sorry to hear about that!  Nothing more frustrating than leaks of any kind!

I would change the pan and timing cover without dropping the motor.

charger1972

I have done it on mine which is a 72 . And on a big block , you can remove it without moving the engine at all . Just have to snake it around the oil pump pick up . Oh yeah , the steering linkage had to be dropped , but no big deal especially if you have a lift .

A383Wing

just drop the steering linkage that runs under the pan, then pan will come right out

lasvegas69charg

Thanks for the advice. What about the timing cover?
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

A383Wing

remove timing cover after oil pan is off

Install timing cover with new gaskets before you install oil pan

lasvegas69charg

Thanks for the info. As far as the oil slinger which direction does it go on?

A383Wing

Quote from: lasvegas69charg on December 31, 2014, 09:36:19 AM
Thanks for the info. As far as the oil slinger which direction does it go on?

it only goes on one way...if you put it on wrong, the edge of slinger hits the timing chain

lasvegas69charg

fy469rtse

Only tip I  can give , if auto and stock K frame , take the trans bottom inspection cover off ,
Lets you have a bit more room to sneak pan back to get it off