News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaving Mopar and switching to GM.....

Started by A383Wing, January 01, 2015, 09:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

well, at least for the ignition stand point....GM modules are easy to come by, unlike most of the stock electronic components for Chrysler's electronic ignition.

I will still retain the Mopar electronic distributor, but everything else will be eliminated. Will just need to get a HEI E-core coil to eliminate the ballast resistor also

http://www.designed2drive.com/

rt green

third string oil changer

Ghoste

myk

RallyeMike

I guess I'm out of touch...... what is hard to source in Mopar ignition components?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

A383Wing

I don't have $245 per dist for 3 cars just laying around..if you want to buy me those, I'll take it...

go to any parts house on any corner and see how much Mopar stuff is on the shelf to buy when they fail

Ghoste

I got away from the Mopar ecu's a few years ago and the ballast too not because of cost but just headache.  I ran an MSD on the last car, no this current RT has the Mopar stuff in it and this summer I thought I had an ecu failure (turned out to be something else) but I went to a local parts store and they had one in stock and it was relatively cheap too. :shruggy:

hawkeye

No need to apologize or feel bad about saving money by using non Mopar parts.  I only wish there were more posts like this.   :Twocents:

RallyeMike

QuoteI don't have $245 per dist for 3 cars just laying around..if you want to buy me those, I'll take it...

go to any parts house on any corner and see how much Mopar stuff is on the shelf to buy when they fail

I took "easy to come by" as hard to obtain. I suppose it's also true when your wallet is thin.... cuz they just won't hand it over the counter  :icon_smile_big:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

RIDELIKEHELL

Firecore is nice stuff and a bargain compared to MSD
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Cooter

GM 1 wire alt. Best thing since sliced bread. Locally available and cheap with more amps.
BUT! Let a 'Mopar or no car' putz hear this and all hell breaks lose. Yet, they will tout buy American and justso they do NOT buy that DELCO-REMY (American company) GM alt. They will buy some NippenDenso (Japanese) alt. Of 440source because it came on a "Mopar" (Magnum engines) ?????
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

RDC

I'm not a big Chevy guy, but I have to concede their HEI is far superior to Chrysler ignitions. That being said I chose MSD over this swap.

69wannabe

Quote from: Cooter on January 03, 2015, 01:16:14 PM
GM 1 wire alt. Best thing since sliced bread. Locally available and cheap with more amps.
BUT! Let a 'Mopar or no car' putz hear this and all hell breaks lose. Yet, they will tout buy American and justso they do NOT buy that DELCO-REMY (American company) GM alt. They will buy some NippenDenso (Japanese) alt. Of 440source because it came on a "Mopar" (Magnum engines) ?????

LOL, that's a good point. I wouldn't have a big issue about running a one wire GM alternator and if the distributor on a big block mopar wasn't right in the front of the engine I wouldn't mind running an HEI distributor. That big cap/coil design just doesn't look good sticking up there and I know looks aint everything but that sticking up there is the first thing alot of people would notice and that is just kind of a deal breaker. One of my most favorite carburetors is a quadrajet but most of the one's I have ever rebuilt were on stock or very close to stock engines. don't really think a Q-jet would run that good on a bigger cammed big block or something like that. A friend of mine had an HEI on his 302 mustang and it worked great but it was right in front and when he raised the hood it was just hard not to notice how out of place it looked. These days with alot of parts made in china if you want your car to be reliable it's all about what works and I like for my engine to look similar to how it looked to begin with but sometime's if you want a quality part you may have to shy away from the original look to have parts that you can trust.

myk

Quote from: Cooter on January 03, 2015, 01:16:14 PM

That's what I'm running.  I didnt want to deal with the externally regulated Mopar stuff anymore...

jaak

Quote from: 69wannabe on January 03, 2015, 04:15:09 PM

LOL, that's a good point. I wouldn't have a big issue about running a one wire GM alternator and if the distributor on a big block mopar wasn't right in the front of the engine I wouldn't mind running an HEI distributor. That big cap/coil design just doesn't look good sticking up there and I know looks aint everything but that sticking up there is the first thing alot of people would notice and that is just kind of a deal breaker. One of my most favorite carburetors is a quadrajet but most of the one's I have ever rebuilt were on stock or very close to stock engines. don't really think a Q-jet would run that good on a bigger cammed big block or something like that. A friend of mine had an HEI on his 302 mustang and it worked great but it was right in front and when he raised the hood it was just hard not to notice how out of place it looked. These days with alot of parts made in china if you want your car to be reliable it's all about what works and I like for my engine to look similar to how it looked to begin with but sometime's if you want a quality part you may have to shy away from the original look to have parts that you can trust.

Check the link in the OP. I have looked at the link before, Its a bracket that mounts to a stock Mopar distributor, you mount the GM HEI module to your stock distributor, and if you also use a E-core coil, you eliminate all the scattered components of the Mopar Electronic Ignition (Ballast, box, wiring, ect.) Should make for a cleaner installation, too.

Jason