News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear window corner patches

Started by bad88t-top, February 18, 2015, 10:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad88t-top

Hi guys.  I just recently started the body work on my 70 RT SE Sumroof car and I need to do some patching on the lower corners of the back window.  Does anyone make corner patch panels or do all we have to work with is the AMD rear filler panel.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, bill

TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

moparnation74

Sweet ride to restore BTW! :2thumbs:

I believe you will have to fabricate filler pieces for those areas.

six-tee-nine

Charger Specialties carries a part for the sail panel repair.
Haven used them though, so can tell if its good or not.

Mine wasnt that bad so I fabbed all of it myself.

Make sure after welding and repairing to  blast the repairs clean from inside the trunk and epoxy prime all well. otherwise it will rust again from the inside out.

Oh btw keep you window trim close by to testfit the shape of the corner. The last thing you want is the trim not fitting when you have the car painted.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

b5blue

Sherman Auto Body has them. Check Rock Auto for a listing.

tsmithae

The sail panel to rear window portion is available, however, the very bottom corner support sections I'm not so sure about and I personally fabricated a piece to repair mine.  :Two cents:

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

green69rt

You can get the sail panels patches, as has been said.   The lower window channel can be fixed with a patch from the AMD dutchman (if you want to spend the bucks.)

Dutchman.....  http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-68-70-charger-deck-filler-panel-p-1041.html

charger_fan_4ever

Is the inner window frame roached too ? Yes you can buy the exterior corners that were on the dutchman panel. Mine both were roached the inner window frame had to be rebuilt too.

mopar4don

I fabbed the inner window corners. These are underneath the deck filler panel and the quarter panel.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,104414.425.html
reply #436

bad88t-top

Thanks for the feedback and the ideas everyone.  I just checked and half if my inners are gone so I'll have to work something out on these.  I searched everywhere and no one makes the corner patch panels themselves any longer therefore I ordered an AMD filler panel.  Hopefully that will give me enough to work with and I can patch the rest in with sheet metal.  Thanks again.  Bill
17 Durango RT

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bill440rt

Bill, as we spoke I would be trying to find those sail panel patches, & possibly replacing that dutchman panel. If you patch the dutchman panel, consider bonding the patches because it's a little flimsy & could warp easily. Once the old stuff is cut out you could fab patches to fix the underlying metal.

Here's one sail panel, perhaps contact this supplier to see if they have the other side?? Keep up the search!  :2thumbs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherman-171-72SR-Right-Sail-Panel-/301363021153?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACharger&hash=item462aa2c561&vxp=mtr
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

green69rt

bad88t-top

Well, Charger specialties has decided to no longer produce the sail panel patches and unfortunately they supplied Classic Industries, Sherman, and Year One with their panels.   Search is continuing while I focus on the trunk floor and other patches.   Bill
17 Durango RT

Dan 70

Hey bad88t-top,
I e-mailed Russ at Charger Specialties urging him to reconsider discontinuing the sail panels. He e-mailed me back saying that Charger Specialties was going to make a small batch because Sherman's had ordered 5 pairs, and there were also a couple of other individuals that were waiting for them. After that, he said he might have a few pairs left over, but the next batch might not be produced until about Feb.2016. He told me that the sales numbers on the sail panels are less than 10 pair per year, down from approx. 100-120 pair per year since the economy died and AMD came out with their products as well. He also stated that he has to order materials for the sail panels for 10 pairs in order to keep the cost reasonable. Since Sherman's has ordered 5 pairs, maybe you can visit their website, and place a pre-order if that's possible. I hope this info helps you in some way.
                                                                                                                                                                                 Dan

kanadanmajava

Has anyone got new info if the "discontinuation issue" has progressed? I just checked the Charger Specialties webpage and the sail panels are not listed as discontinued parts. There's no mentioning about the possible long delivery time.

My rear window corners are quite bad so getting patches would be a good thing.

kanadanmajava

I asked from CS and the situation is still the same. New parts will be made in 2016 (January or February).