News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Restoration - Ideas/Recommendations

Started by charlie45, November 18, 2014, 11:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

In the process of having my 68 Charger restored. I sent my instrument cluster over to Redline Gauge Works in California (http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/), and they will do the entire cluster.

Also, I sent some of the dash pads over to Just Dashes, and they will take care of the cracks, etc.

How much work is left to do the rest of the dash, assuming most parts need to be replaced?? Is that something that any mechanic can do, or is more specialty work?? My guy is pretty good, but if its really complicated than I rather send the entire dash out to have the work done (the hardest part is presumably the instruments&cluster, which I already sent off...)??

Any recommendations/thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Also, where is the best place to get the right parts for the dash.

Thx, :cheers:

Charlie   

Dreamcar

The dash frame is steel, so that's just body work and getting the correct paint.

The plastic panels (i.e. bezels) I refresdhed myself with black trim paint, chrome and white paints, and patience (none of my bezels where cracked or broken). I'm sending the gauges and cluster out for rebuild. The dash pads I'm going to dye black because I have a mismatch of pieces. I'm buying a new upper pad.

The wiring will be done when the car gets wired.

The are some great threads on this site about doing the work above.

What else are you wondering about?

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

john108

Dreamcar

Quote from: john108 on November 26, 2014, 04:55:58 PM
Switches

When I have my gauge cluster redone, I'm asking for new switches. They are available repro.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

b5blue

Year One has 30% off right now...Order New Dash Harness!  :2thumbs: Heater and/or A/C is another whole can of worms!  :scratchchin:  Wiper linkage and motor service?

moparnation74

Quote from: Dreamcar on November 26, 2014, 06:19:32 PM
Quote from: john108 on November 26, 2014, 04:55:58 PM
Switches

When I have my gauge cluster redone, I'm asking for new switches. They are available repro.
I had a repro headlight switch and it lasted about a week.  After that fiasco I only use NOS.