News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

order number on fender tag!

Started by charge69, November 20, 2014, 05:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charge69

Well, I have a fender tag showing SPD of 314 and an order number of 113080.  Any way to figure out where the Charger was originally sold?  Pretty sure it was on the East Coast somewhere but ..... I bought the Charger from the second owner and he does not know the dealer either.  Any chance the order number might be a clue?  Neither the tag nor the build sheet have it as a sold car, so .......... a Hemi Charger as a speculative purchase by a dealer?

Just trying to track down a little more info about my Charger.  I have the fender tag and a couple of poor condition build sheets that still identify the Charger and all its' accessories but .................... no dealer information.

Ghoste

The order number is pretty much just an internal one for the assembly plant.

Alaskan_TA

Blank order pads were sent to each dealership with the VON pre-printed on each page.

Once an order was filled out it was sent to Chrysler & a VIN was assigned to that VON.

But, Chrysler assigned their own VONs as well.

So, the only way to tie a VON to a dealership is to have access to that dealership's records.

charge69

Oh well,  it was just a shot in the dark.  Probably will never know what dealership it came from but ......... at least there is a fender tag and some build sheets with it.

Ghoste

If it wasn't an ordered car wouldn't that make it a sales bank unit?

Alaskan_TA

Yes, but Chrysler used the same forms to originate the orders for sales bank cars.

charge69

Yep, it must have been a sales bank car. Imagine that, a HEMI HARGER just sitting on the dealers lot waiting for the prospective buyer to come along and pick it up!

I saw a number of Hemicars roaming the streets (in KCMO in Spring '68  thru early '70) and always thought it had to be an ordered car! I was just back from Vietnam and was a poor Marine so I couldn't afford one anyway! You can bet I would have found a way to get one, probably a black-on-black '68 Roadrunner!

Sure wish I had a time machine!

Ghoste

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on November 21, 2014, 09:17:06 AM
Yes, but Chrysler used the same forms to originate the orders for sales bank cars.

Where I was going with it though is that wouldn't the fender tag indicate it as well?  (an ordered versus sales bank car)

Alaskan_TA

Some plants coded Y14 & Y16 on the tags for some model years, but not all.

Management at each plant had some leeway on what their staff put on the tags, so LA coding, Hamtramck coding, Lynch Road coding, etc. share some similarities but they are all different.