News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Making Shift Points Later, 727

Started by bordin34, November 15, 2014, 01:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

I just built a 440 for my Charger and want to be able to get some more performance out of it. I have the stock torque converter, a 727, and 2.45 rear gears. My problem is the trans seems to shift when going way too slow. By the time I'm at 25mph its already shifted into 3rd and the engine is only turning at 950rpm and obviously the car is very sluggish. Is there a way to make it shift a little bit later. I know the real problem is the rear gears but I cant replace those right now. I have the BPE kickdown cable kit on the car.
Thanks

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

A383Wing

make sure the kick down linkage is adjusted correctly....when throttle is full open, kick down should be at max travel so it just fits on carb stud.....

service manual will tell you how to do this

John_Kunkel

Actually, the car is shifting a little late....with light throttle, top gear at less than 20 mph is factory spec.

To make the trans shift later you want the transmission lever further back for any given throttle setting, adjust the cable accordingly.

The trans lever DOES NOT need to be back at WOT.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

squeakfinder

Looks like Bouchillon's website has installation instruction's.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

A383Wing

top gear at 20 mph is a good way to burn clutches....that is way too soon to be in high

don duick

mine is the same, I have shift kit and  hurst shifter and usually shift manually.

fy469rtse

What RPM does it change when your getting on it ?
If it still changing too early, you may have to get into governor weights , at rear of trans ,
I would upgrade your rear gears first , see how it changes then

BSB67

Quote from: A383Wing on November 15, 2014, 08:18:00 PM
top gear at 20 mph is a good way to burn clutches....that is way too soon to be in high

Hmmmm.  Why would the clutches burn?  If your clutches are slipping, you have another problem.

Mine shifts into 3rd at 18 mph under normal acceleration, with no part throttle kickdown, i.e. it stays in 3 rd until I come to a stop.  It is about where the factory service manual states it should be.  If anything, it probably makes the clutches last longer.  It has been like this since 1967, no burned clutches.

To the OP, There is nothing wrong with what you have now.  But I can appreciate that the car will feel pretty sluggish under those conditions.  Adjust the throttle pressure linkage, and if that does not work, change the outer governor weight.  Or live with it.

If you have a large cam, it will make the condition feel worse.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

bordin34

Thanks, I have a Lunati 60303 cam in it. My trans functions just like BSB67 describes.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

John_Kunkel

Quote from: A383Wing on November 15, 2014, 08:18:00 PM

Nonsense !!!!

fy469rtse

as John has posted , completely normal ,
if it shifts like specs in manual ,

Dino

I need to look into this as well.  For some reason my car won't shift into 3rd until hitting almost 40 mph under very light throttle, a little more and it won't shift until closer to 50.  It also shifts back to 2nd when speed drops below 40.  It didn't used to do this, not sure what I did to make this happen
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

This assumes stock carb and stock linkage:

To raise the upshift speed with 3-piece TP linkage, lengthen the upper rod in the ; to lower the upshift speed shorten the upper rod.

With aftermarket carbs the linkage won't work correctly unless you have the correct Mopar throttle lever extension for the type carb you have.

Regardless of the type of linkage or cable you want the transmission lever further back to raise the upshift speed and further forward to lower it.

Dino

I did adjust mine to work on that Edelbrock I had on there for a few days although I though the shift points were about the same before that with the thermoquad.  I think with the throttle fully opened I can push that rod further back about 1/8".  It's supposedly above freezing on the weekend so I'll give it another go. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

Setting a transmission to stock shift points in a car that is no longer stock seems odd. It seems the OP wants higher shift points to match the higher RPM and power levels the engine NOW makes. THIS will not happen with stock parts.
As stated by a few sharp members here, the governer mechanism may need to be modified. The tail shaft extension housing needs to come off for access. I check YouTube now when I take on something I've never done before. There is a tremendous wealth of info there.

John_Kunkel

The governor has limited control over light-throttle upshift speed...since the OP is concerned with the upshift at 25 mph one must assume he's concerned with light-throttle shift speeds and that's mostly in the linkage/cable adjustment.

WOT is another story.

BSB67

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 18, 2014, 03:05:17 PM

The governor has limited control over light-throttle upshift speed...since the OP is concerned with the upshift at 25 mph one must assume he's concerned with light-throttle shift speeds and that's mostly in the linkage/cable adjustment.

WOT is another story.

Certainly adjust the TP first. 

But I believe that the total weight of both the inner and outer affect the part throttle up shift.  There are at three different outer weights and the lighter they are the higher the upshift.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

John_Kunkel

The outer weight affects part-throttle the most, inner weight is mostly WOT with the spring affecting both.

BSB67

11.68 @ 120.2 mph