News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$25,000 rust

Started by marshallfry01, November 18, 2014, 01:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I really don't understand how you have such a hard time selling that car.  I get solid offers far exceeding $20K quite regularly and my car is not exactly mint.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Quote from: Dino on November 19, 2014, 10:31:54 PM
I really don't understand how you have such a hard time selling that car.  I get solid offers far exceeding $20K quite regularly and my car is not exactly mint.

Haven't really tried all that hard. I did have one kid offer $18k for it, but the 'reconstructed vehicle' title issue shot that in the head quick. No matter, I think I got my ol Dart sold for more so....There's my new shop..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Title is a big deal to a lot of people but it isn't like you have ever misrepresented it either.

Dino

Quote from: Cooter on November 20, 2014, 07:24:39 AM
Quote from: Dino on November 19, 2014, 10:31:54 PM

Haven't really tried all that hard. I did have one kid offer $18k for it, but the 'reconstructed vehicle' title issue shot that in the head quick. No matter, I think I got my ol Dart sold for more so....There's my new shop..

Alright I could see that being an issue in some states, still nothing unsurpassable but a nuisance at the least.  Glad to hear you get to keep the ride and get your shop.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1974dodgecharger

They all have the money when u don't want to sell and have no money when u want to sell.....Bastards.

Quote from: Cooter on November 19, 2014, 09:10:18 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 18, 2014, 08:35:12 AM
Seems like that the asking rate anyway.  Ask Cooter how many people are actually willing to spend that much.

Every one I met/played phone tag with, was the crotchetiest, whiney, over the top, beeyotch once they found out my cars flaws. Many are willing to attempt to get your hard work and money for peanuts these days. Seems $7500.00 is the buyers spending power for a true low mileage, 440 6, 4-spd, dana car, with 999 code paint.

I mighta shot myself in the foot, but the latest guy was calling from NC. I flat out told him the deal. I was fed up with idiots and car was no longer for sale. He sounded disappointed as he claimed he had the money. :shruggy:

Mike DC

The car titling setup in the USA need overhauling so badly.  The car hobby has gradually created more & more oddball situations that the existing setups just don't allow for. 

Ghoste

Sorry Mike but how 0do you mean?

Mike DC

There are variations from state-to-state that make our heads spin.  In some cases it basically allows "title-washing".

Some places sell brand new replacement bodies with little chunks of original bodies welded into them just for the formality of it. 

Cars with "salvage titles" lose tons of value even though some of them have been restored to better condition than half the non-salvaged cars on the road.  We need another classification to recognize a resto that goes above-and-beyond standard collision work.

We have people building hybrid and custom-built creations that have to (or it's less trouble to) register them as one of the donor cars for paperwork reasons. 

We have (non-stolen) project cars with missing titles & VINs, and the paperwork cost/trouble it causes can be enough to push their value over the edge so they don't get fixed.  Etc. 

Along the lines of the salvage title point - The classic car hobby has been screwed up over rebodying cars for decades. 

The problem is that the law only sees two possibilities, either a car is original or else the VIN has been changed for theft purposes.  We need a third classification - how about "rebodied 100% accurately, officially replacing the original"?  I think the car hobby would have been much better off if another classification like this had existed. 

Its not about destroying the status of an original car.  It's recognizing the difference between rebirthing a classic car that is realistically wasted, versus what happens to a stolen car at a chop-shop.  There would have been far fewer fraudulent rebody-jobs in the last 20 years if people had another legal & honorable option that didn't lose all the collectible value.

stripedelete

Good stuff.  But, what is the percentage of the American fleet does it constitute. 
My guess is way less than 1% and getting smaller.

500Jon

Hi Mike DC,
The sins of the few are suffered by the many!
The whole Classic Car Industry needs looking at.
Forget the Chop-shops and shade-tree mechanics here in Chargerland.

A friend of mine paid $50,000 for a restored Mopar off Ebay.
She looked mighty fine when she showed up, BUT, the color was NAFF.
So a repaint was in order and SHOCK HORROR it was a Bondo nightmare!!!
Is this a better or worse situation than a well-done rebody?
Another slightly different scenario was a 69 R/T Charger here in the UK.
Bought as a real R/T but was in fact a 318 car once the rear vin was exposed.
As there are no bodywork mods for R/T's then how can you ever tell?
5J

ps I don't think a rebody done professionally is the issue here?
Its the Chop-shops stealing cars for rebodying that's the problem!!!
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!