News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

correct engine paint for 1966 383

Started by dodgeterm, January 04, 2007, 10:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgeterm

the plastikote and mopar rattle can paints for the chrysler turquoise seem to be "too bluish" compared with the original turquiose I have on various original engine parts.  can anyone advise on this?  is there a better supplier????

this is for a 1966 383

advTHANKSance,
Doug

Doc74

I can't help you with a supplier but have you tried cleaning a part of the engine, the paint tends to get a bit darker after a while. Use some coarse car polish or cleaning alcohol, even lighter fluid will work.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

daves68

I have learned from experience to use a high temp engine primer prior to using the color coat. Without it the cast iron color shows through the paint and has the effect of changing the color. I just turquoised my 68 440 and it lookd great with primer and only one color coat. Without primer it always took several color coats to cover. Just a suggestion.

mmcquay

I've been seeing the same complaint about the newer cans of Mopar engine turquoise (Mopar number P4120562) being too blue on other forums.  One guy even had a really old can of the Mopar turquoise and compared the contents to a new can and said the new paint is definitely bluer and not right.

The consensus on other forums is the that the Dupli-color DE1619 "Chrysler Green" is an excellent match for the original (as far as rattle can paint goes).

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/
'68 Charger w/440

http://hotdabble.com

maxwellwedge

Frank Badalson sells the correct, dead nuts turquoise....if that is the color it should be. Never used primer with his paints and never had a problem.

ODZKing

The OLD cans of Mopar paint were right on, but the newer one (with the newer label) are not even close.

VS

TUFCAT

Interesting. I used a can of VHT "Early Chrysler Blue" its called and wasn't totally happy with the color (or adhesion) for that matter.  I bought a rattle can of Mopar engine paint (new label) from Mancini a couple weeks ago. I sprayed out a sample and it looks more correct than the VHT. 

ODZKing

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 06, 2014, 01:37:21 PM
Interesting. I used a can of VHT "Early Chrysler Blue" its called and wasn't totally happy with the color (or adhesion) for that matter.  I bought a rattle can of Mopar engine paint (new label) from Mancini a couple weeks ago. I sprayed out a sample and it looks more correct than the VHT. 
Maybe they corrected it.  But I bought the 73 Chrysler blue from a dealer back a couple years ago, and it looked like a cross between turquoise and later blue.
I went with the Dupli-Color and that seemed dead on.

A383Wing

I got mine from NAPA a while back...VHT and it says turquoise on it

ODZKing

Dupli-Color makes VHT paint. When they put a VHT label on it they charge a couple bucks more.  Same stuff.

moparnation74

Frank Badalson or Totally Auto have the correct colors in spray can form.  Just don't be shocked at the prices.  I have used both and they are high quality products.