News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grille detailing

Started by Ghoste, October 26, 2014, 10:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Not for a resto but just for cleanups, what are you folks doing to get it nice and clean and get all the damned bugs off?

Dino

Tricky to do on plastic.  WD40 works but is messy. I just use hot water and dish soap.  If the bugs are persistent you can soak a paper towel and stick it on the grille to let it soak.  I use a thin rubber filler spreader to scrape the really sticky ones off afer soaking.  Don't use any abrasives or chemicals as it can dull the paint.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

And a whack of cotton swabs?

Dino

I don't have the patience for that.  :icon_smile_big:  Soaking is the key.  A small powerwasher would help out as well.  Products like vinegar or baking soda work really well but you risk losing some gloss on the grille.  When those persistent bug guts are soaked then may need a scraping but they'll come off.   :yesnod:

Once cleaned it will stay clean longer and is easier to clean again if he grille paint is smooth.  The rougher it is, the harder to remove stuff.  A spray wax helps to fill any imperfections in the plastic and paint.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

stripedelete

I just finished the soup-to-nuts treatment (clay bar, polish, glaze, wax) on the back half of my car this afternoon.  
With the front half next, I was eyeing the grille asking myself the same question.  So, thanks for the timely thread.

If you don't mind me jumping forward a step, I purchased some Adams quick sealent.   Among several applications, they suggest applying it to the leading edge of the hood before long cruises claiming it makes future bug removal easy.  I'm considering using it on my grille,but, I'm not sure about it perhaps giving it an "armour all" look.

Can't post link from Ipad, but, if you're interested Google 'Adams quick sealent video'.  
Sorry, if this is tangential. I was researching it when you posted.

Charger-Bodie

This is why I put 3 coats of satin clear on my grilles. That way you can scrub if needed.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparnation74

I use a spray bottle of water and a rag.  I will wet it several times and give it some time to soak with a wet rag or just with water.  Then take a microfiber rag and wipe it clean.  Takes longer but does not damage the paint.