News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Diesel Engine In A Charger?

Started by Skinypete, July 10, 2010, 11:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

200MPH

Quote from: six-tee-nine on July 14, 2010, 02:53:31 PM

Then again converting a Charger to a Diesel car seems as unneccecary as converting your wife to a guy....... :slap:

LMAO
Charger

PocketThunder

Quote from: 200MPH on July 15, 2010, 08:55:30 AM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on July 14, 2010, 02:53:31 PM

Then again converting a Charger to a Diesel car seems as unneccecary as converting your wife to a guy....... :slap:

LMAO

:smilielol:   :smilielol:  :smilielol:   :smilielol:   :smilielol:   DUDE!!!!!!!!!!   :lol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

jww426

Theres a new Italian Iveco diesel V-6 in the new Ram pickups and Jeeps. Making it hotter with twin turbos and implementing the truck's tranny might be cool. No need for mufflers. Not sure about the weight, but probably as much as a hemi 426 with the 727.
Just a guesstimate.

Hmm...Im thinking a 70 Charger with a custom-built Dana, or the rear axle out of the Ram. Stock looking RT on the outside.
Why you ask? Why did we go to the moon? Win WW2? Dive to the bottom of the Mariana Trench? Because we're Americans, and we love horsepower! Chrysler Firepower!
I'll post if I can get an engine from Dodge. My local diesel guy can order one.

JWW
JWWIV

myk

Eh, to each their own, but you can count me out.  Who buys a Charger for gas mileage anyway?

toocheaptosmoke

When my car was just a chassis a 5.9 cummins was a serious consideration for it, a modded 12v would have been awesome in there!   But like others have said, the engine height and weight were two of the biggest hurdles.  The trucks have a hard enough time keeping ball joints intact, there would have to be some serious planning to make a reliable front suspension work.  Not to mention you would basically be using an entire 3/4 ton truck driveline with even more weight and clearance issues, and a lot of those parts aren't exactly cheap either.   That's why I ended up just going with 1/2 ton gas job truck parts. :lol:

wingcar

Why mess up a Charger in that way..................If what you are looking for is more mileage, transplant a slant-six into it........ :rotz:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

jww426

Ive found out that there are a good number of lightweight diesel transaxles out there that could be suitable to a 6 cyl 24V Cummins.
But in order for this to work, I think its best to locate the engine mid-mounted, and that means no rear seat. The fuel tank can be moved to the engine compartment, which of course would now also be the trunk.

Mid-engine, 2nd gen Chargers have been done before. (see photo of 1st gen drag car)

The clearance issue, the engine height and its weight, will be better placed in the middle of the car.
With twin turbos, and there are multitudes of options, 600 HP is not a problem, 100 ft. lbs. too of torque. (24 mpg)
My diesel guy says the halfshafts and hubs for the transaxle are not a problem to source.

Hefty coil over rear springs and shocks of course.

Im thinking seriously of going this route.

JWW
JWWIV

ACUDANUT

Why not put a four cylinder diesel engine it.  It would get great fuel mileage, and would run like a slow tank.  :smilielol:

JB400

I hate to say it, but the Chevy Duramax would be the way to go if someone was looking to a diesel conversion.

six-tee-nine

A mercedes OM 606 straight 6. 3 litres, 24 valves.
Do a inline pump swap, add 7.5 mm elements to the pump, convert to a Holset HX40 turbo and done. Capable of 600 horse and more torque than a average big block.

Still the quastion remains why....

The Cummins engine is great, but the way it is build makes it almost a rig engine even heavy for pick ups.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

jww426

Thats a good point.
I may consider the Merc, or even the Cummins 4bt, or if I can get the Dodge V-6 Iveco that might solve the problem.
I agree, the 6cyl Cummins is too heavy.
JWWIV

Todd Wilson

A friend of mine has put several 4bt Cummins in various old Dodge trucks and a Jeep. He has a system down for bell housing and transmission as well as hydroboost brakes.  I would think as others have stated the Cummins 6 cylinders would be way to heavy for the front end of any of the old muscle cars.

Todd

Mike DC

A B/RB wedge is arguably too heavy for these cars, if you care about performance outside of a dragstrip.  We tolerate the compromise because the factory did it and B/RBs are great motors.  

Putting big diesels into old Chargers?  LOL.  

Oh yeah, I have no doubt you could do it.  

And here's an article about a big-block chevy V8 in a Smart car:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a7879/video-big-block-smart-fortwo-drag-racer/

kanadanmajava

Quote from: six-tee-nine on January 16, 2015, 02:04:32 AM
A mercedes OM 606 straight 6. 3 litres, 24 valves.
Do a inline pump swap, add 7.5 mm elements to the pump, convert to a Holset HX40 turbo and done. Capable of 600 horse and more torque than a average big block.

There's one competition drifting team here that are using somewhat modified 24v OM606 diesels. They seem to be going at around 500 hp and 800 Nm. The engines are quite reliable at those levels but they have been braking plenty of turbochargers. The pump has 8 mm internals but rather surprisingly the engines uses a HX52 turbocharger and an Eaton MP90 supercharger. They are getting around 3.5 bars of boost but the smoke levels aren't very street worthy.

They are probably nice engines but I prefer spark ignition. I still do like the way 2-stroke Detroit Diesels sound but they wouldn't fit in any car.