News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lack of spark - sometimes

Started by Firetodd, October 17, 2014, 02:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetodd

I went out to fire up the charger last week and she wouldn't start. The motor turned over strong, but wouldn't start. I pulled a plug wire and put a spare plug in it and placed it on the intake manifold. No spark (I have since purchased an-line spark tester).

Next, I checked the voltage at the coming into the coil with the key on and it showed 12.5 volts. But I couldn't turn the motor over and check the voltage. So I called our resident expert Firefighter 3931 and he had me run a temporary wire directly from the battery to the positive side of the coil to see if she'd start. Sure enough it fired right up :) So I'm thinking that I must have something wrong with the feed from the start position to the coil. Not so fast. I disconnected the temporary wire and drove it around the neighborhood, and back into my garage. I shut it off and for a test i tried to start it and she fired right up! No temporary wire!

Anyway, with it running, I shook wires and check connections and could not reproduce the problem. Fast forward a few days and she wouldn't start. I tried hooking up the temporary wire from the battery to the coil and still no start. I get to thinking that maybe a wire could be loose on my ignition switch causing issues, as I had not checked them the previous day. I wiggled them around and then the car started! So, since I happen to have a new ignition switch, I replaced it.

Now a day later, I try to start the car and no spark. So I have a spare coil and replace the coil. Still no start. I put the old coil back in. I try and start it and she fires right up! I get to thinking and realize that every time she started over the previous few days, it was after trying for 5-10 minutes and I placed my battery charger on the car. Would a crapped out battery cause these issues?

nvrbdn

that could be a possibility. i have an old battery in my 69 cougar. every time i go out to start it (which isnt often) it will crank , run the battery down and crank slowly. i get the charger (let me clarify battery charger, not the car) and hook it up, and the engine fires right up. battery doesnt send enough juice. but after it has started and warmed up, the same battery will start it the rest of the day. (im assuming because the alternator puts a charge in it). :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Dino

My car sat for a week and I had athe hardest time starting it up today. It took forever but finally it roared to life.  I don't know if it's the battery or something else, but once it fires and runs for a few, it fires right up every time.  I better check my battery as well.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

W4ATL

If you have an electronic distributor you may have an intermittent wire coming from the pickup coil inside the distributor. Disconnect the pickup coil wire going from the distributor to the ignition box. Get an ohm meter and check the resistance of the pickup coil. Wiggle the wire around while checking the resistance. If all is well you should get a resistance reading around 200-900 ohms or so. If it reads open (very high) or shorted (zero) when you wiggle the wire around coming from the distributor you have found the problem.

Firetodd

I have a firecore ready to run distributor with the ECU built in. I'll check the wires and report back :) thanks!

Back N Black

Quote from: Firetodd on October 18, 2014, 01:40:16 PM
I have a firecore ready to run distributor with the ECU built in. I'll check the wires and report back :) thanks!

I had the same problem with my Firecore RTR, when i first installed the unit. It was a bad ground, make sure you dist hold down is snug. :Twocents:

moparnation74

I grounded mine to the nearest valley pan bolt.

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Firetodd

I have a few problems. First my new firecore HP coil is leaking oil. Second I found that the 12 volt feed into the coil had an exposed section of copper lying next to the intake manifold. Third, the distributor, while held down tightly with the hold down, has no play, but it looks like the hold down bracket has 1/4" between the bracket and the base of the distributor.

Anyway, I'm going down to NAPA to get another coil, I've replaced the 12 volt wire, and will report back to the group :)

moparnation74

Quote from: Firetodd on October 21, 2014, 11:45:15 AM
I have a few problems. First my new firecore HP coil is leaking oil. Second I found that the 12 volt feed into the coil had an exposed section of copper lying next to the intake manifold. Third, the distributor, while held down tightly with the hold down, has no play, but it looks like the hold down bracket has 1/4" between the bracket and the base of the distributor.

Anyway, I'm going down to NAPA to get another coil, I've replaced the 12 volt wire, and will report back to the group :)
Sounds like you found the problem due to that exposed wire causing a short in the system.  Your last point confuses me, do you mean that the hold down does not touch/hold the distributor? Or the two bent tangs on the hold down bracket secure the distributor but the rest of the bracket is a 1/4" above(which is normal).

Firetodd

Moparnation, you are correct. It is held down solidly, just the rest of the bracket is high. Well I put in the new coil and it fired right up ;)

moparnation74

I am happy you found the problem.  I can only imagine the reaction on your face when it fired right up!

firefighter3931

Quote from: Firetodd on October 21, 2014, 11:45:15 AM

Hey Todd, sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I need to visit this sub forum more often  :icon_smile_blackeye:

The coil overheated from the shorted out power supply wire...simple as that.  :yesnod:

Good to hear the waterpump issue was detected and rectified before it left you stranded.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs