News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So let's say a FAST class for the street 440

Started by Ghoste, October 15, 2014, 05:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on October 23, 2014, 09:51:02 AM
Well yeah, thats why I want one.  :drive:

Yes they are.  My 4 speed dart is slower than my charger, but way more fun.

My buddy put sticky tires on his 12 second 4 speed GTX and eventually broke it in the traps.  It was a scary ride and the collateral damage was impressive.

I hade Joe Liberty build my 4 speed (nearly 30 years ago), have a steel flywheel, and use a scatter shield.  I recommend you don't skip on safety if you intend on beating on it hard  :Twocents:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Yes, believe it or not I have done this before and I have broken my own share of parts both with a stick and with an automatic so the driveshaft loops and scattershields are givens.

Cooter

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 21, 2014, 01:49:32 PM
Based on that, i dont think its possible to purchase and build ANY new car and use all new components and pay full price for machining and have a 10 second car. I dont care what the weight is.

You show me a start to finish, all new parts and full price machineshop cost, fox body mustang build for under 10k. Its not going to hapoen.

Reason I say this is..... there is a fox body here. LS STOCK ENGINE with single turbo. Dude talks smack to me all the time about how he bought a junk yard body for $700.00, junk yard LS for $2000.00, and stock chassis, $300.00 cage, and $2000.00 in misc. Junk yard intercooler stuff and runs 5.90's 8th mile.

Dude has less than $10k actually and keeps telling me that same ol story..."you can't even get in the door for a body for what I built my whole car for".

Been pounding on this turd for three seasons now. I don't expect it to last 20 years with absolutely no breakage, but three seasons in the 5's for under $10k?  RESPECT.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Cooter on October 28, 2014, 06:36:43 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 21, 2014, 01:49:32 PM
Based on that, i dont think its possible to purchase and build ANY new car and use all new components and pay full price for machining and have a 10 second car. I dont care what the weight is.

You show me a start to finish, all new parts and full price machineshop cost, fox body mustang build for under 10k. Its not going to hapoen.

That is my arguement. You gave me hell for quoting used parts and wheeling and dealing to meet the 10k budget, yet his ENTIRE build is using junkyard parts.

Reason I say this is..... there is a fox body here. LS STOCK ENGINE with single turbo. Dude talks smack to me all the time about how he bought a junk yard body for $700.00, junk yard LS for $2000.00, and stock chassis, $300.00 cage, and $2000.00 in misc. Junk yard intercooler stuff and runs 5.90's 8th mile.

Dude has less than $10k actually and keeps telling me that same ol story..."you can't even get in the door for a body for what I built my whole car for".

Been pounding on this turd for three seasons now. I don't expect it to last 20 years with absolutely no breakage, but three seasons in the 5's for under $10k?  RESPECT.

Cooter

No hell given. Just no freebies from machine shop that your dad owns and let's you play at.
I know you are smart enough to know even I know brand new everything will be more than $10k, I'm just concerned with spending money wisely instead of tossing $100k at a 68 Coronet with best if everything,  but leaving the 'patina' on it to appear as if you didn't that's all.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Cooter on October 28, 2014, 10:02:43 AM
No hell given. Just no freebies from machine shop that your dad owns and let's you play at.
I know you are smart enough to know even I know brand new everything will be more than $10k, I'm just concerned with spending money wisely instead of tossing $100k at a 68 Coronet with best if everything,  but leaving the 'patina' on it to appear as if you didn't that's all.

Now we are comparing apples to oranges. You cant compare a "fast" class b body to a junkyard gm ls conversion into a fox body mustang. To compete against that mustang build, i would buy a duster roller, drop a junkyard 3rd gen hemi drivetrain in it, and spray it. That would be on a similar budget and with a power adder. I bet you could get that into the same range as that mustang.

Cooter

Now we talkin. But, round here my price for a truck hemi is like $5k. Would like to see if it could be done though.

Troy

Quote from: Cooter on October 28, 2014, 11:57:43 AM
Now we talkin. But, round here my price for a truck hemi is like $5k. Would like to see if it could be done though.
I bought (then sold on this site) a 2005 truck Hemi with 30k on it for just over $1,000. I haven't checked recent prices but they've made - and wrecked - a whole lot of Hemi trucks since then. If there was a reasonably priced wiring solution it would make more sense. It's much simpler and costs about the same to drop in a stroked Magnum - especially with the abundance of good, economical heads available for them.

Ooops! None of which has anything to do with this thread...  :eek2:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

GPULLER

Up here in MN can't touch a 5.7 for under $1500.  LS motors all over for $500, guys are using them in their demo cars.