News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"I bet your homework was never quite like this..."

Started by Ponch ®, October 03, 2014, 10:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

Quote from: myk on October 05, 2014, 05:20:50 PM
Stripedelete summed it up very nicely.  I'd like to add that morality, ethics, and the sense of right and wrong have given way to a generation of thinking that believes in just doing what feels good, what makes you happy in the here and now; nevermind the consequences or the damage done...

so its the 60's all over again    :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Ponch ®

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on October 04, 2014, 07:42:33 PM
Yeah, that's it — a little more to the right    :drool5:

Wrong VH song... :nana:

Quote from: polywideblock on October 05, 2014, 05:40:20 PM
Stripedelete summed it up very nicely.  I'd like to add that morality, ethics, and the sense of right and wrong have given way to a generation of thinking that believes in just doing what feels good, what makes you happy in the here and now; nevermind the consequences or the damage done...

so its the 60's all over again    :scratchchin:

and the 70's, 80's, 90's.  The "good old days" are a myth...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

myk

Stripedelete summed it up very nicely.  I'd like to add that morality, ethics, and the sense of right and wrong have given way to a generation of thinking that believes in just doing what feels good, what makes you happy in the here and now; nevermind the consequences or the damage done...

Hey I didn't want to say that, on the count that I'm sure the 60's are probably sacred to many here, but yeah- I happen to think that was a period of recklessness that may have led to other social ills; like the ones we're having to deal with now.  

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 06, 2014, 10:57:23 AM

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.  I also think that America, and possibly the world's "greatest" generation of people from the 1940's and 50's will also disagree with you.  There were good days, better days; I'd wager that some of the older members of this board probably helped to shape these days if not enjoyed them, but then something changed.  

Now, I will agree that humanity has seen a progressively declining level of quality with each passing generation after the 60's, however I attribute that to the "freedom" movement:  people suddenly discovered that they were free.  Free to not work hard and apply yourself to earn the great lifestyle that less disciplined people could only dream about.  Free to indulge yourself in basic pleasures and thrills that satisfied you for the instant at hand instead of delaying gratification and using your resources to build a better life, a better you.  Free to ignore accepted laws, values and morals for the sake of your own personal satisfaction.  The worst levels of human potential took the freedom movement as an excuse to be vain, lawless, self-serving degenerates with no remorse or the ability to choose between right and wrong, instead relying on what feels good at the moment.  I contend that it's this "underground" cancer of the freedom movement that has allowed our society to forget what's right, wrong, just; bringing us to the article in this thread and countless other societal problems.

In summary, humanity is on a decline from morality and is sliding into lawlessness, impulsiveness.  I can only wonder if movies like Mad Max or the Walking Dead will be later touted as pseudo documentaries in a dystopian future...

Old Moparz

Quote from: myk on October 07, 2014, 02:23:28 AM

Hey I didn't want to say that, on the count that I'm sure the 60's are probably sacred to many here, but yeah- I happen to think that was a period of recklessness that may have led to other social ills; like the ones we're having to deal with now.  

Quote from: Ponch ® on October 06, 2014, 10:57:23 AM

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.  I also think that America, and possibly the world's "greatest" generation of people from the 1940's and 50's will also disagree with you.  There were good days, better days; I'd wager that some of the older members of this board probably helped to shape these days if not enjoyed them, but then something changed.  

Now, I will agree that humanity has seen a progressively declining level of quality with each passing generation after the 60's, however I attribute that to the "freedom" movement:  people suddenly discovered that they were free.  Free to not work hard and apply yourself to earn the great lifestyle that less disciplined people could only dream about.  Free to indulge yourself in basic pleasures and thrills that satisfied you for the instant at hand instead of delaying gratification and using your resources to build a better life, a better you.  Free to ignore accepted laws, values and morals for the sake of your own personal satisfaction.  The worst levels of human potential took the freedom movement as an excuse to be vain, lawless, self-serving degenerates with no remorse or the ability to choose between right and wrong, instead relying on what feels good at the moment.  I contend that it's this "underground" cancer of the freedom movement that has allowed our society to forget what's right, wrong, just; bringing us to the article in this thread and countless other societal problems.

In summary, humanity is on a decline from morality and is sliding into lawlessness, impulsiveness.  I can only wonder if movies like Mad Max or the Walking Dead will be later touted as pseudo documentaries in a dystopian future...

While I won't disagree that certain parts of society are on a decline, I will disagree that "the good old days" ever existed. No such thing, period. Each generation had their share of problems whether they were social or economic. Diseases that killed have been eradicated with vaccines. Degenerates roaming the earth wreaking havoc & killing others for no reason have been around for 1000's of years.

When did the crash of the stock market take place? It happened long before many of us were born proving greed isn't new.

How about the way people were treated before civil rights? Women & blacks couldn't vote or go places others could.

Wasn't rescuing all those people in Africa several hundred years ago a kind gesture? Good thing ships could bring them here in chains to work for free because it must have sucked living there & worrying about being eaten by a lion or getting stepped on by elephants.

How many people did dictators like Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin & Mao Zedong kill? Was is it just one or two really bad people, or was it more like somewhere over 100 million people with slightly different politics or ethnic backgrounds?

Do you think serial killers & child molesters are a new fad that started with cell phones? Jack the Ripper had his fun long before Jeffery Dahmer did.

Weren't TV shows the best back then? Great family values over the airwaves, like Ralph Kramden threatening his wife with a punch every episode while living in a shithole apartment smaller than a one car garage.

Wasn't McCarthyism with the witch hunt for reds another great example of the great bygone era? If you don't like someone just call them a commie & watch them get blacklisted.

Bad news makes lots of money for the corporate networks & there are so many of them now compared to "the good old days". They are competing for your short attention span so they make it sound like the world is ending tomorrow to freak you out & make sure you come back for more before it does.

One last thing, don't forget that there wasn't deodorant in the good old days. People smelled like ass and wore the same shirt for a week before washing it, which they did in the same water they bathed in.   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

66FBCharger

I think, as we get older, we tend to remember that the "good times " were better and tend to forget about or downplay the "bad things".
Remember how gas was $1.00 a gallon, but you were making $2.75 an hour?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ponch ®

Quote from: 66FBCharger on October 07, 2014, 10:53:34 AM
I think, as we get older, we tend to remember that the "good times " were better and tend to forget about or downplay the "bad things".
Remember how gas was $1.00 a gallon, but you were making $2.75 an hour?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/610349

and how $1.00 in 1975 was about $4.50 in todays money.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mike DC

Agree with Old Moparz.

The 40s-60s were a great time to be a healthy working white male.  Medical care sucked, everyone else was socially oppressed, and we taxed the living shit out of the rich.

Modern adolescence has been postponed by finances as much as social pressures.  It's so easy to blame younger people for "not growing up" while ignoring how much harder modern life has made it for them to do that.  Compare the cost of health care coverage for a 27yo in 1964 and 2014. 

None of this excuses sexual predator teachers though.  They need jail time.  That sort of thing could be the highlight of a 16yo boy's high school career.  It could also turn out to be an emotionally affecting situation that he was not prepared for.  It might also leave him fathering a child.  Or infected with sexual diseases.  Etc.

68X426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 07, 2014, 11:29:22 AM

It's so easy to blame younger people for "not growing up" while ignoring how much harder modern life has made it for them to do that. 

I blame them, pure and simple. 

For those who do grow up, and have even the slightest ambition or the hint of goal setting and a sliver of motivation, this is the very best of times.  Because the whole generation ( age 18 to 35 ) is so weak and sad and victimized and woeful, those who try will succeed.  And there will be many great people, and very good people, rise up out of the lazy mess that is generational in it's scope.

Frankly it's too late for the whole generation.  So I just concentrate on those who make the effort.  They will succeed because they will seize opportunity.  The rest will just sleep it off in mom's basement because life is too tough.

These are the best of times for those who try.  :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Old Moparz

Those who try are from ALL generations, & not ALL from our past generations are gifts to the human race or even try at all. I know a good number of older people who aren't worth a shit & some kids today who are going to be better people than they are.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Chad L. Magee

One thing I will comment on is this:  We are becoming more reliant of our technology to think for us rather than using our brains.  (That is one major difference between the Greatest generation (WWII era) and newer ones that replaced it.  They had to be creative to survive some of the situations that they lived in.  Those times were not so "golden" as people tend to remember them as.)  It has slowly taken creativity and ingenuity out of the newer generations.  Sure, you can say that they "shifted" their creativity and ingenuity towards the internet, but at what cost?  We will have to wait and see to find out....

Smart phones are not making many people "smart", but quite the opposite effect over time.  It is all in how we use/misuse the technology whether we advance or not as a civilization to the next generation....

:soapbox:
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Dino

All we have to do is wait until we run out of smart people who can maintain and improve current technology.  Then we can all start over and we can be great again.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Patronus

See, I think some good things do still happen. Now people are just too stupid to keep their mouth shut.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE