News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my AMD quarter panel potato chip

Started by Ryan.C, September 09, 2014, 10:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

The more im looking this panel I think it got banged around a little in shipping.

At least it didn't arrive folded in half. 

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 12, 2014, 08:04:00 AM
the only complaint i had on these is that the roof structure at each rear corner gets really close to touching the skin. I massage that part down automatically now.

Maybe your car was just at a bad area of tolerance for the skin. some just are that way. These cars were not built on tight tolerances.

Care to explain Brian? I never changed a roof skin, I'm going to but I'm kinda nervous about it anyway since I want to have the car look better afterwards, not worse...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Charger-Bodie

Where the inner structure rounds the corner by the sail panel . If you look at the space between the roof and the structure, you will see that it's already tight. If left alone ( at least on the ones I did) this will put an out dent in the roof skin, plus it need to have room for when the car flexes and twists.

Hopefully this helps.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

six-tee-nine

I get the point. I will keep it mind.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Arigmaster

I built my 68 back before the quarters were available from AMD. I had picked up a set of skins from Charger specialties back then and the ones that arrived were crap too. I ended up speaking to a lady over there and special ordered a set with a heavier gauge metal. The trade off however was the body line down the middle and on top wasn't as sharp.

Took a whole lot of patience, heat, weld, cool, rinse and repeat to sharpen them up without distorting the rest of the panel. (I wanted the car as bondo free as possible) I was finally pleased with the results when the skim coat was nearly non existent except a couple spots about the size of a quarter and silver dollar. A couple coats of DuPont Perma-Fill took care of the rest when I blocked it down.

No waves, quarter was as stiff as OEM and zero oil canning. That was my trade off so either way you will be spending time on them.