News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3 spoke woodgrain steering wheel price

Started by marshallfry01, September 29, 2014, 12:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshallfry01

A friend of mine gave me a glove compartment door off of his 68 parts car so I could get autographs from all of the Dukes cast last October.  He has a nice General Lee and I was thinking of something to do so I could return the favor.  He has some kind of a 2 spoke steering wheel on his general right now.  I would like to find a woodgrain steering wheel that I could redo and give to him.  I'm sure everyone knows what it looks like without me posting a picture. (3 spoke, woodgrain)  Anyways, how much does a used 3 spoke wheel go for price wise?  It does not have to be nice.  I do not mind cracks in it, but I don't want one that has a lot of chunks missing out of it.  Do I just need to find an old junkyard and look for one?  Or is there a website that sells these steering wheels in a non-restored condition?  I think it would give his general the finishing touch if I gave him a wheel that they came with.

Thanks in advance,

Marshall  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

timmycharger

I have seen them vary from $180 for ones in need of restoration, including repair of cracks that usually get about 1/8 wide, up to about $500 in very good condition, and upwards of that for really nice ones.  :Twocents:

Dino

Sounds about right.  I'd say for a nice driver condition wheel expect to pay close to $400.  You can get lucky and find something nice for around $250 but it may have more than a few cracks.  No websites I know of that sell them non restored.  They repro them but they're pricey and quality seems to be hit or miss.

If you do get one make sure it's for a 69 or get an adapter if you buy a 70 wheel.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

marshallfry01

:o :o I didn't realize that they were that expensive unrestored.  I was thinking more along the lines of $50 bucks or so.  But I gotta remember that it is mopar... :rofl:  I am going to try and avoid finding one online.  I feel like I will get a much better deal if I find one that is somewhat local to me.  What all makes and model cars had the option to come with those 3 spoke woodgrain wheels?  And it needs to be a 68-69.  I don't want to mess with an adapter from a 70 if it is a pain.

But thanks for the replies guys!  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto

Ghoste

They reproduce them too but I think those are also in 400 range.  If you find one for 50, it'll almost certainly be someone who doesn't know what it is.

marshallfry01

Quote from: Ghoste on September 29, 2014, 08:51:01 PM
They reproduce them too but I think those are also in 400 range.  If you find one for 50, it'll almost certainly be someone who doesn't know what it is.
I agree with you. I'm sure that the chances of finding one in a junkyard of some sort are going to be slim to none. I just didn't realize they went for that kind of coin.
1969 Charger 383/auto

marshallfry01

On another note, how much are the other steering wheels going for? I'm not sure what it is called, but you could get a full horn ring or the halfhorn ring. Would those be any cheaper?
1969 Charger 383/auto

Ghoste

Dino

For a GL, my second vote would go to a tan wheel with half horn ring.  Stock 69 wheel I believe.  The cheapest woodgrain wheel I've seen recently sold on ebay for $125 and the plastic rim had seen much better days, but the spokes were pretty good. 

Shakey

Very nice one on e-bay yesterday - $1,300.00 USD

Dino

Ghoste

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on September 30, 2014, 08:25:31 PM
Whats wow is that they aren't that rare.

Exactly!  Unless it's a custom one off wheel there is no reason for that high price.  There are plenty of these out there.

Indygenerallee

I have one I would sell for $125.00 plus shipping it's complete (wheel has one separation at 12 o'clock) with a perfect horn button. PM me if your interested
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Shakey

Good ones with no cracks are!

I know a guy that can get NOS versions for about $2,500.00.  He gets NOS Rim Blow wheels for the e-body cars for $3,500.00.

Now, for a guy like me, a nice used or reproduction wheel is fine but there are others that require the NOS versions.

moparnation74

Quote from: Shakey on October 01, 2014, 01:22:41 PM

Good ones with no cracks are!

I know a guy that can get NOS versions for about $2,500.00.  He gets NOS Rim Blow wheels for the e-body cars for $3,500.00.

Now, for a guy like me, a nice used or reproduction wheel is fine but there are others that require the NOS versions.
At that price, anyone want to buy my NOS one?

Ghoste

I paid less than half of that for mine, he's found a crowd with deeper pockets than me for NOS.