News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 charger what is the best way to get the doors to line up w/ fenders/bodyline?

Started by sgt72charger, September 02, 2014, 08:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgt72charger

so i made the mistake of taking off the doors and door hinges from the body but it i had to in order to complete the restoration i.e. sand prime paint
i did not relize now that putting them back on that there is literally 100 different positions the doors and fenders can be mounted. :brickwall:
every time i remove and reinstall these 100 pound doors they are off by in the front or back or bottom ect..

any advice
also looking at buying new door hinges/mounts new or used mine are just too far gone but still function proper 
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

sardillim

if the fenders are off  reinstall the doors and set the gap to the 1/4 and the rocker.  then install the fenders and align the fender to the door,  simply put work from the back to the front    good luck

Mike

ottawamerc

If your door hinges are worn stop there, they need to be replaced or rebuilt before you attempt to realign those barn doors :yesnod: Otherwise you will be chasing your tail. With fresh/ tight hinges attach your door and start by only loosing one set of bolts ie: A post lower hinge, also this is a 2 person job. By doing only one set of bolts at a time you can slowly get your doors back to stock. Bolts that go into the A post adjust the door length wise and a little up and down and the bolts that go into the door adjust it in/ out. Once you get it close or even before take out the door catch (Nader bolt) so it wont throw your alignment out, once your door is aligned then reinstall it so no weight is on it.

BTW I did mine with the fenders on with a long socket extension but use caution when trying to open your doors during any adjustment to make sure they dont contact on the edges :brickwall:

Good luck it takes time/ 2 people but you can do it!

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CDN72SE

I just got my '72 hinges rebuilt and I used a trolley jack to lift the door and then roll it into place so I could bolt the door onto the hinges. Not hard to do but make sure you have enough light to see the holes.
1972 Charger SE

sgt72charger

so im bidding on a new set of AMD reproduction door hinges. i realized that it probably the first step i should be making
thanks for all the advice...

i guess the hardest thing to deal with is that the hinges connecting to the body are floating as well as inside the door. 
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|