News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When are our cars gonna decrease in value?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 24, 2014, 04:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

I think another overlooked part of the Boomer generations spending habits, that has pushed Charger prices up of late, is money chasing "value" in assets of any kind, other than stocks, long yield bonds, equities, etc., yes even classic cars as a way to relive their youth and hold some value, in an interest rate environment devoid of returns.
Look at the stock market continually setting new highs ? Where's the Real Economic Thunder behind that ? it's a disconnect... pure and simple without jobs and wages keeping pace ? Although many missed this run entirely sitting on the sidelines, they did invest elsewhere.

If the so-called "recovery" is for real(I doubt it), then as return potential moves up, Boomer investors may move back into more traditional instruments, taking some pressure off the classic cars ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

ws23rt

Investors putting their money in collector cars as a way of protecting their money is no different than trading stocks. It is not for the timid.

The general public/us like these cars and have a good time with them.  The investors tend to upset our market for their capital gain motives.

The value for us is very different than the value for the investor. We have to live with that.

It is cool to fix and drive a great car from the past and it is also nice to know that it is appreciated  by investors.

So this is just another WIW question-----

When one decides to part with a car that has been with them for years or finally found one that is what they dreamed of. The market price comes into play.

Value?-----very personal----And don't expect that any investment will bring a financial return.

Mike DC

A gorgeous Hemi car costs $130,000 because investors are placing bets on them.

A gorgeous 318 car costs $30,000 because of the real ongoing enthusiast demand.

F8-4life

Times are changing for sure. My opinion is over the coming years/decades prices will generally decrease on all but the most high end collectible cars.

Even the generation that grew up with these machines have other priority's in life  And if the cars where not worth what they are currently then you will see who is in it for the love of machine or who is talking crap. Many people can tell you "hey cool car is it for sale" but who is willing to take the step to pay out is the question.
I am 25 and my generation I will bet will not pay out for ownership unless they either have expendable $$ or they are willing to make the $$ sacrifice because of the love of the car they want.
Kids that inherit daddy's muscle car have it on easy street.

HPP

I agree the blue chip, pedigreed cars will always command stratosphericly high values. But I disagree the value will drop significantly on otherwise pedestrian cars. I think this because despite smaller displacement engines or less desireable options, they are still classically styled bodies that are crossing the line from average to timelessly cool. Even if the majority of millenials disregard the majority of cars, there is still going to be demand driven by all the movies and games that use these car and post them in front of enough of them on a constant basis. If this was not the case, Dynacorn would not be repoping bodies to continue the breeds.

Dreamcar

I didn't go through every post in detail, but I though I'd share my thoughts...

I think part of what makes our cars valuable (60s and 70s Chargers, and other mucle cars of that era) is the constant exposure they get...in other words, we can't forget them if we tried. And when you're young, what you are exposed to and told is "cool" will evidently effect what you desire as a car.

I'm 34, and love many types and brands of cars  (I'd love to have a classic 911 to go with my Charger). I'm not old enough to have grown up with 60s and 70s muscle cars, but what was my first exposure to cars???...The Dukes of Hazzard. The General was the coolest car to have, and this was in the 80s. My Dad then showed me the chase scene from Bullitt. Wow! When I started going to car shows, muscles cars ruled. So, my first love has always been muscle cars even though I'm not old enough to have enjoyed them back in the day because growing up, that's what I was mostly exposed to and presented as being a "cool" car.

What about the later cars I grew up seeing, like 5.0s and Z28s...Yes, I like those, they are great platforms to build affordable muscle. But how many big screen movies or TV shows got you thinking that an '89 5.0 was the coolest car on the planet? How many big name caracters drove one of the big and small screens? None that I can think of. So as an impressionable kid, it didn't get presented to me as being the car to have "when I grow up".

Trans-Ams...thank Smokey and Bandit.
Deloreans...crap cars but desireable thanks to BTTF
Early Mustangs...ulimited hollywood exposure even to this day
Imports...F&F franchise, which is now including lots of muscle cars too.
Mopars...DOH, Vanishing Point, Bullitt, DMCL, etc

Basically, in North America, the orignal muscle cars have often been presented "what you want", and are still presented this way. So even when the baby boomers start selling off their cars, the supply will increase, but not enough, I think, to really create a drop in price. Most nights, my garage door is open and an 18 year old kid who lives down the street from me sees me working on my Charger...he always comes over to look at it, even in its current sad state, and he drools all over it. To me, this is a sign that even the younger guys and gals will always love the original muscle cars and will keep prices up. 

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)