News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need honest opinion on value of 1962 Harley Duo Glide

Started by troy.70R/T, August 16, 2014, 09:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

Hey guys I need an honest price on what my dads 1962 Duo Glide Harley is worth. It has sat for years. It needs a good cleaning and really probably needs to be gone thru.   New gaskets and such. I will post some pics in the next few days. My dad is retired and 72 years old. Without a long story he said he is going to sell it and split the money with my brother and I. He wants 10,000 for it. (to me only) So that means I would only give him 5,000 for it. I want to pay him a fair price for it. I think 10,000 is to cheap. I do not plan to repaint it or rechrome it in any way. just new tires and a carb rebuild. it does need some other clean up and really probably needs to have a gasket job done to it in both the motor and trans. I plan to keep it the rest of my life and pass it on to family so this is not a money making deal. I just want to be able to give my dad. It is a 24,000 mile origional bike.

tcs69rt

Just like our cars the value is all over the place depending on condition. I have a 1952 Panhead and I bought it for $6500 and it ran. You can look at nadaguides.com to get an idea. I will tell you now that the only way it is worth $24,000 is if it is restored and 99% perfect. Do your homework on the shops you give the bike to for any motor work, most HD dealers and after market shops don't want to touch the vintage iron, Good Luck!
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

troy.70R/T

thanks TCS69rt. I didn't realize they had an NADA guide for that old stuff. I talked to the HD dealership yesterday and they gave me a couple guys names that are supposed to be good with those old bikes so I am going to get in touch with them. Atleast I have an idea what I am going to have to payfor it.  Here are some pictures of the pictures. I know it not the greatest way to judge the condition but it is the best I can do for now.

troy.70R/T

oops correction it is 20,000 miles on it. i know you cant see it in the pics but at one time the battery blew up on the bike and there is a lot of rust spots on the chrome on the side in the first pic. It will polish out to the point that it just has the little pit in it that I don't think you will be able to see unless your only five feet away. To estimate it I would say that there are about 1 rust spot every 2 square inches from the battery box down and back onto the wheel. I do think I would need to replace the battery box.

tcs69rt

Looks cool but like our cars....it's a specialty crowd. Tough to say what it is worth until you get into it and see what it takes to get it running again. Good thing that it looks mostly original, that's a great selling point.
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."