News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Next Steps

Started by comet_666, September 22, 2014, 09:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

So here the car sits in my garage, finally back home after 8 years. Body/paint /suspension all done. Engine out for rebuild in early spring (440). 4 speed setup sitting in my basement ,switching to 727.
Now I am trying to think, what do I need to get this dam car running? I was focusing on interior when it dawned on me, this won't get the car running, all the other stuff can wait.
So I am coming up with a list of things I have to have to get so I can rive it in the spring.
I am going with 440 source 512 stroker kit and ported stealth heads, so I have to buy that along with everything that goes with it.
Here is the rest of the list. I am kind of sketchy on the 727 set up as It never had one and I have never had one so I do not know what I am missing when it comes to that so any help there would be appreciated!!!
Transmission - looking for core
Trans cooler and lines . Not sure what/where to get
Converter- TBD by engine builder
kick down linkage -  not sure what /where to get.
rebuild kit- not sure what /where to get
shift kit- not sure what /where to get
flexplate- not sure what /where to get
Pan-self explanatory
Shifter / linkage
Now I need some wiring, still up in the air there, it's all missing/burned up/hacked so it all needs to be replaced anyway along with the cluster which after I pulled it apart I realized it was a lost cause.
I'm going with the dakota digital one (http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=939/category_id=679/mode=prod/prd939.htm and painless or RF.

Can anyone help me fill in the blanks? Nothing will keep me from driving this car in spring '15

moparnation74

There will be a ton of opinions on some of your questions.

1.  Convertors, Turbo Action
2.  Shift kit, Trans Go, company has several types based on your application, I have the trans go 2
3.  Flex plate, BMI
4.  I would suggest to find a high quality Transmission Shop
5.  Shifter linkage, stock versus aftermarket(cable)
6.  Wiring, good non corroded, chopped up factory replacement(I have some), or new factory replacement from classic or year one, or Painless

Why change from a 4 speed?

Beautiful ride! Love the color and the rims!

comet_666

Thanks for the info and the complement!
4 speed...well I drove it that way for 10 years and everyone says " oh man a 4 speed! that must be awesome!!!"
Well it's not that awesome really, if I ever wanted to just hop in a car and do whatever I would always take "my other car" never the Charger because it was a pain in the ass to drive.
I think my real problem with it was the engine was so screwed with as far as cam and build that it ran like crap most of the time and the 4 speed really brought out the worst of it.
I remember driving down the road at about 30 mph in 2nd gear and letting off the gas and it would wind up and if I would punch it we had a problem going in a straight line !
This build...I want to get in at every opportunity I have here in upstate NY an drive it, I want to drive it in the day and night and I want to be able to hop in for whatever reason and drive the damn car. I have owned it for 21 years and it's sad to say I drove it about 3000 miles in that time. 

fy469rtse

Have a look at PATC transmission site, good upgrades for 727 's on there, they also do complete trans packages
Billit servos drums etc,
Yes trans go stage 2 ,
Cable kick down
Huges torque converter 3000 to 3500 stall ,
Jamie passons factory correct appearing 5 speed
Keep the 4 speed upgraded to 5 ,
By the way great job work to your car , looks great  :2thumbs:

Dreamcar

Just sayin' that the color combo you chose is georgous!!!   :drool5:
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

58pwrwgn

The blue is nice. Is it b7 , b9 or ?.

comet_666

Thanks guys!
It's a 2008 Porsche Cayenne color DQ5 with a pearl white stripe.
what about the trans cooler/lines and such?

moparnation74

Quote from: comet_666 on September 23, 2014, 09:11:36 AM
Thanks guys!
Staying factory correct  In-Line tube
If not then Braided lines, jegs, Summit etc.

Brass

Quote from: comet_666 on September 23, 2014, 09:11:36 AM
Thanks guys!

B&M Stacked plate.

comet_666

Great info guys, thanks!

70-500-SE-EXPORT

I just rebuilt the 727 in my 68 and added a higher stall converter and shift kit and it completely changed the car, Now Its so much more fun to drive and I'm finally getting the full power of the motor to the ground.
The best source of info I found was this book "how to rebuild your torqueflite" by Carl Munroe  http://amzn.com/1557883998 I got most my parts from TSR racing products (besides the converter) they had the best prices and great service as well as used parts.
I went with a ACC 2400-2600 converter. The stall speed turned out to be perfect for street driving.

I used a transgo Tf2 shift kit. Most all trans builders agree the transgo kit is the best one for the 727. I used a B&M flexplate, deep pan, trans cooler. Upgraded to a solid kickdown band which the book is recommends over the flex band for any performance use (most rebuild kits come with a flex band) Added a billet low/reverse servo, accumulator, and stock kickdown servo. 4.2 kickdown lever with HD band strut, Alto "red eagle" clutches on front and rear clutch and Kolene steels. Very important upgrade if you dont have a manual valve body is a was the new governor. Buy the one you want the engine to shift at during full throttle shifts. I removed accumulator spring which firms 1-2 shift. I  used the stock kickdown and shift linkage.

One thing to mention if you use the transgo kit.. After the rebuild I had a "overlap" or harsh 2-3 shift. I drilled the valve body separator plate holes per the transgo instructions to the "street/strip" size which is the largest size and you remove a ball. transgo recommended I pull the valve body back out and get another separator plate and drill the holes to the smallest sizes. So I did...after
re-installing I still had a overlap and overly firm shift.. it was better but still to harsh for me. I called transgo and they said I must have both springs in the kickdown servo. (I previously took one out when installing the billet kickdown servo as it would only allow one spring to fit) So I re-installed the oem kickdown servo with both springs and now the trans shifts extremely fast and nice and firm with no harshness! It also now downshifts and upshifts at the perfect time I could not be any happier with this tranny.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp