News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Topline Johnson Hylift vs. Johnson lifters. What the real deal?

Started by 71 SE3834V, July 07, 2014, 08:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 SE3834V

Ok, I've been reading everything I can concerning cams, lifters, oil pump etc. in preparation for my upcoming cam replacement job and just when I was sold on Topline Johnson I find out there's another Johnson company! Imagine my joy when I find out this 2nd company is a mere 1.5 miles from my house! Musta drove by it a gazillion times and never knew it was there.
I'm referring to the following thread,  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,103437.0.html  where I don't think it was clear whether this 2nd "Johnson" company makes a good set of lifters. I know the Topline Hylifts are highly recommended. Either way they are both Michigan companies so that's cool w/me (I live in Mi.).
The following is the post where the OP discovered the mix up.

OK...seems to be something VERY odd going on here..two very different companies...

Topline Johnson Hylift Lifters which is where I bought mine from

These are Not JOHNSON lifters from this website
http://www.johnsonlifters.com/ContactUs.aspx
these ones are Made in The USA...I just spoke to the president of the company who did not have (of Course) good things to say about Topline Johnson...and he guarentees his for Life ...and they cost twice as Much as the Topline ones

The ones from topline Johnson Hylift lifters are offshore manufactured.(why would any company state country of Origin as Taiwan as Not true??).....I googled it and came up with many hits on them.....they apparently do some custom manufacturing in us but castings and what not are offshore...I guess thats why they cost $99 a set....the other Johnson ones are $200 set
Apparently Topline supplied the Comp Cam ones I had that failed already...and they make melling ones

here is from AMC forum  
http://theamcforum.com/forum/johnson-lifters_topic41348.html

Now I am not doing anything but trying to find whats the deal lol......I am not defending either company as I know squat about lifters just was trying to buy North American...But I wish I had bought from Johnson Lifters...

Interesting that there are two companies in the USA making lifters called Johnson..

Can somebody clear this up???  :shruggy: I might pop in to the local one tomorrow...
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

heyoldguy

I can say that I believe Bob and his assesment of the Topline Johnson Hylift design.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95605.0.html

I have a 440 on the dyno right now with the flat tappet hydraulic Johnson lifters in it (not Topline Hylift) that I got from Scorpion Performance (part # SRP4314-ST). This is very good looking short travel lifter, with a polished lifter face, that is performing very well, but with only dyno time on the motor. These lifters use 1/8-1/4 turn preload with a .030" preload maximum. So if you are using aluminum heads the 1/4 turn setting would be the place to start. Recent hydraulic lifters I have used have caused nothing but trouble but these seem to be worry free and we will be testing them beyond 6000 rpm.

At this point in time I don't think you can go wrong with either lifter.

BSB67

Quote from: heyoldguy on July 08, 2014, 09:08:30 AM
I can say that I believe Bob and his assesment of the Topline Johnson Hylift design.

I have a 440 on the dyno right now with the flat tappet hydraulic Johnson lifters in it (not Topline Hylift) that I got from Scorpion Performance (part # SRP4314-ST). This is very good looking short travel lifter, with a polished lifter face, that is performing very well, but with only dyno time on the motor. These lifters use 1/8-1/4 turn preload with a .030" preload maximum. So if you are using aluminum heads the 1/4 turn setting would be the place to start. Recent hydraulic lifters I have used have caused nothing but trouble but these seem to be worry free and we will be testing them beyond 6000 rpm.

I have looked at the Scorpion lifters in the past and spoke with their tech guy.  He was very into plunger to body tolerances, valving, and QA/QC.   I was planning on giving them a try on my next hydro motor, if I ever do one.  IIRC, Although he recommends near zero preload, I think he said that some of his racers are running the short travel just off the bottom with high VS pressures and fast rate cams.

Let us know how it goes.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

71 SE3834V

Quote from: b5blue on July 08, 2014, 05:49:41 AM

I have read the sticky. As I said above I am sold on the Topline Hylift Johnson just a little confused about this other Johnson name.

Quote from: heyoldguy on July 08, 2014, 09:08:30 AM

Just to be clear I am going to be going through my stock '71 383HP, replacing the cam/lifters, valve job and repairing any other damage from my wiped out cam lobe. Nothing fancy, just want to get this thing back on the road. Don't want to be installing any "bum" lifters.
So you have the just "plain" Johnson lifters not the "Topline"? I plan on paying them a visit. Maybe tomorrow...
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

69wannabe

I am very interested in what you find out on this subject!! I am currently running comp hydraulic lifters in my 440 and they are slightly more noisy than I would like for them to be and would like to try a better set of lifters but like you I don't want to put something in there that would be worse than what I already have... It runs fine now and I have been told the XE284 comp cams are an aggressive lobe pattern and they are just noisy because of this. I have tried to contact the Johnson lifter company with no luck so I finally just gave up, since you are that close it will be interesting what you find out!!!! :popcrn:

heyoldguy

justcruisin

Chances are if you are running a fast rate cam you are going to get some noise. I use a xe275hl in my 440, I had comps lifters in it and swapped to Johnsons, the noise is about the same, the reason I swapped is because I was having trouble with the engine. They weren't any less noisy than the comps but they work.

69wannabe

Quote from: justcruisin on July 09, 2014, 03:35:41 PM
Chances are if you are running a fast rate cam you are going to get some noise. I use a xe275hl in my 440, I had comps lifters in it and swapped to Johnsons, the noise is about the same, the reason I swapped is because I was having trouble with the engine. They weren't any less noisy than the comps but they work.

The lifters in my engine work fine and that's kinda what i'm afraid of if I start swapping things around that it will be the same or that I may make a problem that I didn't have to begin with!! :-\  I think i'm just gonna do some sub frame connectors and start saving for some 69 seat covers!!  ;D

71 SE3834V

Ok, finally paid them a visit this morning. Sorry this took so long. Been busy getting things done (read "cleaning out the garage" :lol:) before heading out on vacation with the plan of getting starting on the engine project soon after I get back.

Spoke with Joe Lewis, Product Manager at Johnson Lifters in Taylor, Mi. He was very eager to answer any of my questions. Wish I had some better tech questions but basically I told him of the problems so many were having with "other, offshore" lifters bleeding down and being noisy after they sit idle as so many classic cars do. He explained why their product solves this problem but I can't really explain here as it was a bit over my head.  :icon_smile_wink:

I mentioned the confusion with the Topline Hylift Johnson lifters and this is what I was told.
When the original Johnson went bankrupt back in 2003 or 2004 they (Parent company Specialty Engine Components LLC) bought the rights to the Johnson lifter. Many of the employees came to work for them and the original plant on the west side of Michigan (Zeeland I believe) sat idle for a couple of years. He said nothing negative about the other company. If I remember right from the article about the other company's problems they were bought by Topline, the plant was moved to Muskegon and they resumed production. The only thing I can figure out is there must be enough of a difference in the name (Johnson lifters vs. Topline Hylift Johnson Lifters) to pass muster.

I was a little disappointed that they don't sell to the public but was told of a speed shop about 20 mins from me that sold them as well as the Per-Fit Corp., www.enginepro.com as well as others as listed on their website.
If any of you have any more questions I'm sure you can get them answered by contacting Joe @ 800-860-4233.

The only thing left is to call the local shop to find out what a set of lifters will set me back.

Edit: Ok, apparently the enginepro comany only sells wholesale. I will have to call them to get some other local retail locations.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Ghoste

71 SE3834V

Can't say.
As posted above it seems both are working well for various users. I was just trying to find out more about the 2 different companies with a similar name product.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

TUFCAT

Great detective work and investigative reporting!  Keep the updates coming!  :2thumbs: