News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission part Question:

Started by Captain D, July 18, 2014, 10:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

Just had a quick question to ask please. Basically, I had my 69' Charger 727 automatic Trans. rebuilt and I have only 1,600 miles on her. Runs, drives, and shifts perfectly without any issues at all. The only question that I thought that I would throw out here is - on the left (driver side), there is a threaded hex-bolt on the transmission itself that is connected to, what looks to be, a throttle spring/wire connection. At this specific bolt, there is an ever so slight amount of transmission fluid around it.

I'm not a transmission guy, so if anyone happens to know what this part may be I'd like to learn of it and see about having it swapped out (or possibly torqued). I tend to crawl up under there every so often just to make sure things are tight and right without any leakage. Although its nothing to lose any sleep over, I suppose I just want to stay on top of stuff; especially when the transmission is concerned. Any idea what this specific part is and what the ballpark price may be to have it swapped out?

Thank you for any and all info,
Aaron  

b5blue

Hey Aaron glad to see you progressing nicely! Got a pic for us? Sounds like the kick down linkage sort of but not certain.  :shruggy:

Captain D

Hi there Neal,

Great to see you, buddy - 'thank you' for chiming in!  :cheers:

I was able to get a really good shot of this part with my cell phone today. Surprisingly, it turned out pretty good considering my phone is ready for 'antique tags,' as well, lol. As you can see in the center bolt, it doesn't connect anything externally as far as I can tell. Any idea what this piece may be? It seems that this is the 2nd replacement of the very same part since the transmission was rebuilt.

Thank you and take care,
Aaron

b5blue

Good picture, that bolt is an adjuster. See the nut on it, that holds the position of the bolt to exactly how far in it's screwed into the transmission. Getting in and up there to try and tighten the nut WITHOUT having the bolt move in or out would be very tricky. I recommend you just take a small brush and wipe it dry to mop up the fluid and see if continues to "weep" any fluid. Let the tranny shop know to see if they want you to bring it in if more fluid appears. It may just be fluid that's worked out from assembly and adjustment. Good eye to catch that.  :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

I've never seen a band adjuster leak but there have been many instances cited on the web. If the jamb nut isn't loose, a little RTV applied to the threads seems to work. Ford used a rubber seal on theirs but the thread is different.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Captain D

Thank you gents for the replies,  :2thumbs:

Now I know its name: a 'band adjuster.'  ;) I'll notify the shop and keep an eye on it in the meantime. In a 'worse case scenario,' if it continues to leak (since this is the 2nd attempt at this) is this something that the trans fluid will have to be drained out in order for them to then apply the RTV to the threads before inserting back into the transmission?

The only reason why I ask is because, since I'm past the warranty date, I was just curious how much time may be involved in this lil' nip-tuck (time = money).

Thank you again for your time in answering my last question on this topic,
Aaron