News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This is where 3D printing is going to start meaning something for us...

Started by Troy, July 22, 2014, 12:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JB400

I'm curious as to what metal alloy was used. :scratchchin:  The energy bill to keep the metal molten enough to do this must be expensive as well. :o

As for the pulley, I don't see why they couldn't whittle one out on a CNC machine.  It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Troy

Quote from: JB400 on July 22, 2014, 12:49:46 PM
I'm curious as to what metal alloy was used. :scratchchin:  The energy bill to keep the metal molten enough to do this must be expensive as well. :o

As for the pulley, I don't see why they couldn't whittle one out on a CNC machine.  It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper.
If you can afford the machine (7 figures) you can afford the electricity. If it were as simple as using a CNC I doubt anyone would have wasted the money or manpower to produce it.

I found another metal printing machine that isn't as cool but it's many times cheaper. This one uses some sort of powdered metal process but I doubt the finished product is as strong.

For the past 10 years or so I've worked in/around steel production/distribution. We had some really awesome tools for making gears - one of which included layers of welds with a precise mix of elements mixed in real time. If they could have just machined them out of a big block they would have I suppose.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

DC_1

I know a lot about this technology. I work for Mitsubishi and we have a laser sintering machine.

The process doesn't involve distributing molten metal. It uses a laser to sinter (melt) metal particles to one another based on a thin cross section of the part you are constructing.

The technology is evolving exponentially but it still is expensive to own or operate such a machine. A machine capable of making functional parts is going to be in the $700k -$900k range and go up from there.

The process with our machine, which is similar to others on the market, is the computer takes the solid model of the object and then creates cross sections that are 0.002" (a human hair on average is 0.004"). A powdered metal is rolled out on to a base plate. The metal layer is .002" in thichness. Then a fibre laser begins sintering (melting) the powder in the cross section. After the layer is done it rolls out a another layer and sinters the next cross section to the one below it. It repeats the process until the part is complete. It could take days to complete a part as big as your fist.

At this point the machines will primarily be bought and used by companies that can afford a toy for R&D. It does\t really save you time compared to other methods and when you factor in the machine cost it isn't cheaper. It does however let you think out side of the box and develop things that couldn't be manufactured any other way.

ws23rt

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on July 22, 2014, 03:54:41 PM
I know a lot about this technology. I work for Mitsubishi and we have a laser sintering machine.

The process doesn't involve distributing molten metal. It uses a laser to sinter (melt) metal particles to one another based on a thin cross section of the part you are constructing.

The technology is evolving exponentially but it still is expensive to own or operate such a machine. A machine capable of making functional parts is going to be in the $700k -$900k range and go up from there.

The process with our machine, which is similar to others on the market, is the computer takes the solid model of the object and then creates cross sections that are 0.002" (a human hair on average is 0.004"). A powdered metal is rolled out on to a base plate. The metal layer is .002" in thichness. Then a fibre laser begins sintering (melting) the powder in the cross section. After the layer is done it rolls out a another layer and sinters the next cross section to the one below it. It repeats the process until the part is complete. It could take days to complete a part as big as your fist.

At this point the machines will primarily be bought and used by companies that can afford a toy for R&D. It does\t really save you time compared to other methods and when you factor in the machine cost it isn't cheaper. It does however let you think out side of the box and develop things that couldn't be manufactured any other way.

:2thumbs:  These are the early stages of the way some exotic parts will be made.
When one considers the forces involved in a gear that for example drives a helicopter blade the need for a reliable molecular structure in the part is essential. Casting/forging/ rolling/etc. have limits. This type of fabricating opens a big window. As far as cost goes like anything new it is high at first. :Twocents:

stripedelete

Thanks for the explanation dc_1.  Certainly fills in some gaps.  I was asking myself the same questions as jb400.
Sounds like the advancements in the science of metallurgy are getting somewhat overshadowed in this case.

hatersaurusrex

I'm ok with the tech taking a long time to come down in price.  At the rate I'm going on my car - I'll be able to buy one of these machines for 12 dollars on ebay by the time I get ready to reassemble :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70