News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

All kinds of Electrical/Light/Gauge Issues

Started by MrSnicks, July 03, 2014, 10:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSnicks

Hey guys, 1971 Dodge Charger, standard gauges here. I'm going to list all the things I have going on to see if any are related.

1. Parking lights work, but not headlights.     I'm pretty sure I just need a new headlight switch.
2. Turn signals work externally, but no cluster lights and no fender mounted lights. Same with hazards.
3. Dome light works but no cluster illumination when lights are on.
4. Nada on the AM radio. No power, no illumination. (I haven't checked the wiring on the back yet).
5. Fuel gauge.  stays on E.  I have put in a new sending unit, have the ground clip and installed additional alligator ground clips. I have not tested continuity on the wire to it.
6. Using oil pressure light. Light NEVER comes on. When key is in run and engine not running, etc... New sending unit and wire is on it.
7. Temp gauge. Most of the time it reads straight up and down (100 degree days here) but sometimes is waves back and forth. Not jerky pegging back and forth just a slow glide back and forth over a couple seconds.  New t-stat, and no air in the system.
8. Ameter. Using stock setup. Most of the time when driving it shows just on the + side of the horizontal bar, but sometimes it goes crazy and pegs out on the +and- side back and forth before returning to a stable reading.

Let's hear what you've got.

Patrick

ODZKing

I would say that are all related to the headlamp switch.
1. Parking lights work, but not headlights.
2. no cluster lights
3. no cluster illumination when lights are on.
4. radio no illumination.
Headlight Switch
Part Number: ECH HL6571
Product Line: Echlin Ignition

Pete in NH

I think you're going to need a factory service manual with all those issues to trace through the wiring diagrams. You have a lot of issues 2,5,6, and 7 that may be centered on the dash printed circuit board assembly and the 11 pin round connector that ties it to the rest of the electrical system. You might also have broken traces on the printed circuit board. The pins on the 11 pin connector frequently need repair and re-soldering to the printed circuit board.

I think I would pull the whole instrument cluster out and give it  a good going over. You see will from the FSM that all the gauges and the oil light as well as the directional signal indicators are on the printed circuit board. I would trace each gauge and light function back to its pin on the connector and rig up test power, grounds and test resistances according to the FSM to check each function before re-installing the instrument cluster. There is a sticky note posting at the top of this section on testing out gauges and printed circuit board repairs.

MrSnicks

I lucked into a 74 Rallye Cluster that had enough of the harness on it I think I'll just splice it into mine. Searching for a 14 pin connector to use now as I don't want it spliced permanently.

Patrick