News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power brake boosters; vacuum range

Started by hemi68charger, July 13, 2014, 07:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...

I was curious on the range of vacuum required for normal/safe operation of the power brake booster ( bendix ). Yesterday I got the 426 HEMI running and I'm drawing about 10-11 inches of vacuum. I am going to try and fine tune the timing and fuel-air mixture some more.......

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

keith88

I'm going thought this rite now it should be 16-18 with 18 the preferred number. I just bought a new booster and master had no brake pedal real hard and i only had 12 pounds no good, traced it back to the new booster and will have a replacement  tomorrow afternoon so i can put it in again ...pain in the butt. I would get a vacuum can it cheap and should hold  the extra that you need. Worked well for me on my last car that had a high lift cam.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

8WHEELER

You can get away with less vacuum with the big Bendix booster I found out. I have a 440 running a mid size cam, it gets 15-16 inches of vacuum, and the brakes work great.
I have a another car with the same Bendix booster, that car has 8-9 inches of vacuum, because of a bigger cam, had to run a MPB vacuum pump.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.