News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hooker Headers ? plus ?

Started by Highbanked Hauler, July 04, 2014, 01:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

My son bought a set of Hooker street headers for his 440 Chall. and I have the fun of dealing with them. So I got them bolted in place and started putting the plugs in the right bank and 2 and 8 are doable 4 and 6 are questionable. Then comes the plug wires, it appears that they are going to hit the tubes at each plug. Am I missing something or is this a common problem  and if so whats the answer ?   ALSO  what can you use to keep plug wires from sticking to the plugs ?  I have used white grease,  silicon paste  and Armorall  but come time to change plugs and a few wires always get the tips pulled out. ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

rt green

you might have to use heat socks and straight and 90 degree boots. oh and maybe a hammer
third string oil changer

justcruisin

What heads is he running?

Highbanked Hauler

92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

justcruisin

I have run the 5903 hookers on stock heads with no issues. I have a set on some Edelbrock RPM's and they do require clearancing. If the issue is fouling on the plugs there is not much you can do besides give it some clearance. I would suggest you mark the areas of concern being mindful of the direction of the plug in relation to the pipe. Remove the header and heat the area up until it is red. Take a 2" pipe or use the rounded side of a large socket at hit it to create the clearance you need. Thermal coating helps allot with heat.

1974dodgecharger

I have the same setup, good luck!  Bang number 8 in, get a half socket for spark plug removal, and when putting the bolts on to the heads on the left bank (facing engine) do the 2nd bolt first then do the other bolts slowly, but surely.  Oh yeah you might to cut one of the bolts to make it shorter to fit, lol....oh boy I remember.

The good thing is after your done it does sound mean and NICE!!!!

Highbanked Hauler

Kinda what I did but a  new plug socket would help.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Charger_Dart

When I ran Hooker headers on my 440 I used Accel shorty plugs which gave me just the amount of space I needed. If if you just need a little more space you might check them out #8197
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

myk

Quote from: Charger_Dart on July 07, 2014, 10:17:47 AM
When I ran Hooker headers on my 440 I used Accel shorty plugs which gave me just the amount of space I needed. If if you just need a little more space you might check them out #8197

What exhaust are you running now?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks, I didn't  know they existed  cool...
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Charger_Dart

Quote from: myk on July 07, 2014, 12:06:35 PM

What exhaust are you running now?

I switched to cast HP manifolds and a TTI system years ago because I wanted a more 'stock' look under the hood. Got old and wanted to quite it down some...
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

BananaDan

I have a set of Hooker 5209-1HKR 2"/3.5" headers on my Charger and I wish I never bought them.  If you have the opportunity to return them, I recommend you do that now while they're new and spend the few extra bucks for TTI headers.  I'm currently saving up for a set myself.

Problems I've had:
1. Initial install, they hit the frame rail.  Notched the frame rail so they fit but I still have a rattling sound at idle b/c they are still hitting occasionally.  Called Hooker and they said they fit.  Told them they didn't and they basically told me they do and hung up.  First sign of trouble and I should've returned them right then when they were new.  TTIs fit like a glove I've been told.

2. Water leaks.  Hookers bolt into the heads (I have 906's) with bolts, they can't use studs from what I've been told.  Because of that you will always have some degree of water leaking/dripping from one of the bolts.  TTIs use studs and do not have this problem.

Good luck!

BD
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

john108

TTI sent bolts with my 440 headers.

BananaDan

All I know is I have been told they work with studs.  I don't know what they ship with.  Why the TTI's work with studs and Hooker's don't, I do not know.  Hopefully one of the smarter guys can enlighten us...

:popcrn:
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein