News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Rear Quarter Question

Started by Tom68, May 22, 2016, 04:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom68

OK, So I'm replacing both rear quarters.  I plan to use AMD full quarters (not skins).

I haven't ordered the panels yet, but I've got the old one on the left side 1/2 cut off.

I see there are a few brackets and several "folds & joints" that I can't really tell if they're part of the quarter or not.

Anyone got a picture of the back side of an AMD quarter?  I'd like to see what "brackets & folds" it has so I can better plan where to cut.

Thanks.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Tom68 on May 22, 2016, 04:57:56 PM
OK, So I'm replacing both rear quarters.  I plan to use AMD full quarters (not skins).

I haven't ordered the panels yet, but I've got the old one on the left side 1/2 cut off.

I see there are a few brackets and several "folds & joints" that I can't really tell if they're part of the quarter or not.

Anyone got a picture of the back side of an AMD quarter?  I'd like to see what "brackets & folds" it has so I can better plan where to cut.

Thanks.

Rule number one in panel replacement :

Never cut the old panel off until you have the new one in hand. :Twocents:

1nasty69z

I have 2 full AMD quarters sitting in my basement. Give me a day or so...

cbrestorations

Only cut what the new panel will replace unless that area is rotted aswell, then you will have to make filler pieces

phantom

Theres really no brackets you have to cut out of the AMD quarters, but the bracket i have circled here you most likely have to cut off and re-weld.

Oh, and be prepared to re-shape both lower rear window corners  :lol:

Tom68

Yea, the one you circled is what I was wondering about.  It seems like it'd be easier to remove it with the old quarter, then remove it from the quarter, and finally re-weld it.

Thanks much for the pics.

On, and there is a second bracket that looks from you pics like it is on the quarter.  Or did you already weld it back on?

phantom

No probs  ;)

That second bracket comes with the new quarter. 

Dreamcar

Quote from: phantom on May 23, 2016, 04:59:35 AM

Theres really no brackets you have to cut out of the AMD quarters, but the bracket i have circled here you most likely have to cut off and re-weld.

Oh, and be prepared to re-shape both lower rear window corners  :lol:

Any chance of sliding the new quarter on that bracket without having to remove it? I got new quarters going on probably this summer.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Tom68

At this point I was going to try it.

I was able to easily drill the two spot welds to free it from the quarter.  I haven't yet got the quarter completely off and won't be able to for a week or so (just too busy).

I did order the new quarter, should have it next week.

I'll post some pics of my attempt when I get that far.

paironines

Yes, the circled bracket stays on the car. The first step for me was to hook the panel over the bracket then  go about with the rest of the quarter lineup.

phantom

I know several restorations on this forum, including mine, had to cut off those brackets, the new quarters wouldnt align properly because of those brackets were a tad out of place. So we cut them off and rewelded them after the new quarter was in place. There are no Chargers that are exactly the same, even if they came out of the same factory. Maybe you can pry the quarters over them and still get a good alignment, but be prepared to cut an weld :)

hemi-hampton

but be prepared to cut an weld Smiley

I've been told a hammer & dolly can fix anything on these after market panels ::) ::) :rofl: :hah: :shruggy: :slap: :smilielol:

Tom68

I have completely removed the old quarter.  The new one has needed a little massage but it looks like it may fit without removing that bracket.  I haven't completed the massaging yet so I'm not 100% sure.

The quarter does look like it might come up a little short at the back by the tail lights; but I'm not sure.  If it does, moving that bracket may help.

I'll post some pics when I have a chance.